What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (3 Viewers)

Danny Burk

Second Unit
BLACK NARCISSUS is one that grows on you. I'd heard a lot about it, but was somewhat disappointed the first time I saw it (maybe 15-20 years ago). Then I watched it again a few years later, and liked it a lot more. Now I love it, having seen it 4 or 5 times, and it's my favorite P&P. I have the UK blu-ray, which is spectacular; almost like owning a 35mm IB Tech print!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Both BLACK NARCISSUS and THE RED SHOES are must buys for me. I can't wait to see how the recent restoration work on the latter title looks on BD.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
http://theplaylistnation.blogspot.com/2010/05/criterion-confirms-thin-red-line.html

[SIZE= 85%]Following up on a Blu-ray.com report that revealed Amazon may have jumped the gun giving pre-order pages (now down), The Playlist got in touch with Criterion who confirmed those listings were correct and that Terrence Malick[/SIZE]'s "The Thin Red Line[SIZE= 85%]," Lars von Trier[/SIZE]'s "Antichrist[SIZE= 85%]," Wes Anderson[/SIZE]'s "The Darjeeling Limited[SIZE= 85%]," a new, Blu-ray edition of David Cronenberg[/SIZE]'s "Videodrome,[SIZE= 85%]" and a high-definition restoration of Akira Kurosawa[/SIZE]'s "The Seven Samurai[SIZE= 85%]" will all be coming this fall. Also confirmed, and not picked up initially by BluRay.com is a forthcoming BluRay of Stanley Donen[/SIZE]'s "Charade" with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Seven Samurai and Charade are definite purchases. The Thin Red Line is a maybe (I need to see it again first). Not interested in The Darjeeling Limited. Still need to see Antichrist and Videodrome.

Blu-ray.com's article says August for all of these, but that's highly unlikely IMO. These are likely spread out from Aug-Nov.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Nice list.

Videodrome is one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. Only saw it once, but that c. 1985 vhs viewing stayed with me.

Philip K. Dick (Three Stigmata...) crossed with Cronenberg. Yikes. Should see it again--if I dare to, that is...

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I guess I'll be buying my 3rd Criterion version of Charade and I imagine I'll be picking up my 2nd version of Seven Samurai.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by DavidJ /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688010
I guess I'll be buying my 3rd Criterion version of Charade and I imagine I'll be picking up my 2nd version of Seven Samurai.
It'll the 3rd time each for me.
No complaints though.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
YES!!!!
The announcement of The Thin Red Line is something I've been waiting years for, but including Videodrome (?!?!!!), more Wes Anderson, and Seven Samurai makes this the best month of Criterion releases EVER in my book.
It's like they read my mind...
(Closes eyes and imagines Criterion Blu of The Sargossa Manuscript)
EDIT: Oh, and kudos for releasing Antichrist! I saw it via Netflix streaming, and it's going to look amazing in HD. I probably won't have the dough to buy it (I'm pre-ordering TTRL and Videodrome for certain), but I heartily approve!
I can't believe a month sooo good that Seven Samurai on Blu-ray isn't the best thing on the schedule!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688038

It'll the 3rd time each for me.

No complaints though.
No complaints here either-- more great movies in HD please. I held off on buying the first DVD incarnation of Seven Samurai so I guess i'm getting off easy. :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Elijah Sullivan /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688101
YES!!!!
The announcement of The Thin Red Line is something I've been waiting years for, but including Videodrome (?!?!!!), more Wes Anderson, and Seven Samurai makes this the best month of Criterion releases EVER in my book.
It's like they read my mind...
(Closes eyes and imagines Criterion Blu of The Sargossa Manuscript)
EDIT: Oh, and kudos for releasing Antichrist! I saw it via Netflix streaming, and it's going to look amazing in HD. I probably won't have the dough to buy it (I'm pre-ordering TTRL and Videodrome for certain), but I heartily approve!
I can't believe a month sooo good that Seven Samurai on Blu-ray isn't the best thing on the schedule!
Don't get your hopes up too much - I doubt we'll see all of these in August. They'll be spread out at least from Aug-Nov.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by DavidJ /forum/thread/272151/criterion-announces-first-blu-ray-titles/690#post_3688178
No complaints here either-- more great movies in HD please. I held off on buying the first DVD incarnation of Seven Samurai so I guess i'm getting off easy. :)
It's just the nature of the hobby. I've done the Criterion triple dip on Wages of Fear, Yojimbo, Sanjuro and M as well. It's one of the reasons I've resisted buying the re-release DVD of The Lady Vanishes.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Hitchcock sells well, I think we may see the Lady Vanishes bluray very soon. at least I hope so. there's about three dozen criterion two disc editions I want to buy but won't because I'm certain they'll be upgraded within five years.

As for these leaks. I would say: Thin Red Line and Videodrome in August. Seven Samurai and Antichrist in September, Charade in October. I've already preordered Seven Samurai from amazon to lock in the price. Criterion's release of Leopard on blu suggests they'll do the same price as the DVD of the Seven Samurai set, but I'm not holding my breath. if Seven Samurai blu is 59.99 I'll be happy to have locked in the current price.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Criterion BDs always have the same MSRP as the DVDs.
This explains why I'm able to pick up some Criterion BDs for less than $32. Interesting. I assume BD box sets will be priced higher than the DVD counterpart, though?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Not Always, 400 Blows, For All Mankind. and Seventh Seal have a Bluray MSRP 39.99, but a SD DVD MSRP 29.99

To be fair, the Bluray Monterey Pop is 10$ less than the SDDVD

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I suppose this is as good a place as any to remind people in the US, that Barnes & Noble should be having a couple of sales this summer- a Buy 2 Get 1 sale in June and a Criterion 50% off sale in July. The $5 off coupons are already available and run through July 25. For anyone not familiar with the sale in the past, using the $5 coupon , along with a member discount, you can get $40 Criterions for $13 (+ tax). If you can't wait till July, the B2G1 sale will average out to $22 for each $40 msrp title.

I've been chomping at the bit to pick up Days Of Heaven and Bigger Than Life (not to mention the upcoming Walkabout), but for those kinds of discounts, I'm willing to bide my time.

Of course things could change, but the sales have been verbally confirmed for the summer by several different store managers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks