Touki Bouki (March 9)
Céline and Julie Go Boating (March 16)
Secrets and Lies (March 30)
Defending Your Life (March 30)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Janus Films has posted a trailer for a new restoration of Tarkovsky’s Mirror, more or less confirming that Criterion will be releasing it at some point this year (completing the Mosfilm Tarkovskys as far as I know)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
You are reading correctly, Ron! I have purchased every single blu-ray title they have released. The good, the bad and the ugly! I did a quick count now and found 846 titles (I count the box sets as one title), I think the number of feature length films number approximately 1040. Obviously this does create some unnecessary double-dipping for completion's sake (I would never have purchased Leave Her To Heaven and some other duplicate titles, if Criterion hadn't released them, as I already have them on equal or superior formats). I also repurchase key films, which Criterion released earlier, but that now are presented with new 4K scans (Walkabout, Don't Look Now, The Third Man, Tokyo Story), because I love watching films projected in the best possible quality. I keep individual Criterion titles, if they are subsequently released in large box sets (the Bergmans, the Vardas, the upcoming Fellinis), because I like the individual essays and cover art. (I'm currently holding on to Pierrot le Fou, to check and see if the cover and essay are more or less identical to the first release).

The collection isn't perfect - Criterion have rightly been criticised in a recent op-ed in the New York Times about the lack of diversity regarding black directors, something that the Criterion's longtime president and creative lead, Peter Becker acknowledged and promised to rectify in the future. But having the complete collection means the opportunity of seeing work from over 460 directors from nearly 50 countries. For a film lover, it doesn't get any better. The collection is really proving its worth during the current crisis, where there are virtually no interesting new film releases at the cinema.

As I said previously, I have only one real gripe with Criterion now, and that is their refusal to start releasing 4K discs. Even just one, as a test. I feel that if Arrow can release a 4K disc of Crash, then I feel it is high time Criterion did the same.

View attachment 79115
WOW

Derrick King

Screenwriter
UK slate for April 2021 was a little late being announced, I suspect because there is some delays with the planned UK release of the WKW boxset (so it isn't part of the month's releases). Anyway, April 2021:
The Darjeeling Limited (the 3rd Fox title released in the UK, following The Grand Budapest Hotel & Kagemusha)
Secrets & Lies
Charulata

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Curious that Fast Times doesn't have any deleted scenes, yet they include a TV version with deleted/alternate scenes.
Just a guess but this is one of those movies where the TV edit is sometimes ridiculous (they loop in "fuzzy nerd" in lieu of saying someone is a "fucking dick"), it has a number of deleted scenes and it'll be in standard definition so I think they just put the whole thing on there.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just a guess but this is one of those movies where the TV edit is sometimes ridiculous (they loop in "fuzzy nerd" in lieu of saying someone is a "fucking dick"), it has a number of deleted scenes and it'll be in standard definition so I think they just put the whole thing on there.
That will be fascinating to watch one time, to see what the replacement words are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks