What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (6 Viewers)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Three Strangers. Good'un. A very original story (and structure), but the ending is a bit Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Oh, well, if you're going to nick, nick from yourself. I also couldn't help but imagine Bogart as Johnny West throughout. What a different spin on the character that would have been. A little less... enthusiastic. I almost wish Muller would not reveal these casting misses until after the picture. I love Peter Lorre, but I still don't buy him as the romantic lead here. He just oozes, not so much drunken charm, but a bit icky-ness. And...

... why does he even need to burn the winning ticket? Fitzgerald is dead and he witnessed Greenstreet busy confessing to her murder, so doesn't that leave him free and clear to cash in the ticket? I must be missing something.

What happens after The Breaking Point in the schedule? Does it go on hiatus for a while? What will I do with my Sunday afternoons? And no, I don't think football (or any spectator sports) are really coming back for a while. And when they do... my original home team will have a different name and mascot. But why should we be loyal to any team these days when players aren't? My nephew is a Bucs fan and has always hated Tom Brady. What's he to do now?

But that's another thread.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As always, I appreciated getting the backstory on the making of the film from Eddie, but once he started praising Rosalind Ivan, I was surprised he didn't mention that she and Joan Lorring had played mother and daughter the previous year in The Corn Is Green which brought Lorring her only Oscar nomination. Yes, the acting throughout the film was first-rate!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Three Strangers. Good'un. A very original story (and structure), but the ending is a bit Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Oh, well, if you're going to nick, nick from yourself. I also couldn't help but imagine Bogart as Johnny West throughout. What a different spin on the character that would have been. A little less... enthusiastic. I almost wish Muller would not reveal these casting misses until after the picture. I love Peter Lorre, but I still don't buy him as the romantic lead here. He just oozes, not so much drunken charm, but a bit icky-ness. And...

... why does he even need to burn the winning ticket? Fitzgerald is dead and he witnessed Greenstreet busy confessing to her murder, so doesn't that leave him free and clear to cash in the ticket? I must be missing something.

What happens after The Breaking Point in the schedule? Does it go on hiatus for a while? What will I do with my Sunday afternoons? And no, I don't think football (or any spectator sports) are really coming back for a while. And when they do... my original home team will have a different name and mascot. But why should we be loyal to any team these days when players aren't? My nephew is a Bucs fan and has always hated Tom Brady. What's he to do now?

But that's another thread.
You are missing something.
they each signed their names to that ticket and then dated it.

As to Peter Lorre being a romantic lead, I can see where a young woman that's been crapped on all of her life could fall for an intellectual alcoholic that treats her with respect and dignity while taking an interest in her.

Yes, TCM has "Summer Under the Stars" throughout August. Noir Alley will post their new schedule sometime in August for September-January months.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1595211235591.png

This afternoon's viewing was the Criterion Blu-ray of "The Lady Eve". Criterion should be proud of this BD as it has outstanding video, audio and bonus material. I love this movie as it's one of the movies that caused me to fall in love with Barbara Stanwyck as an actress. When I was a kid in 1965, my mother noticed me watching "The Big Valley" on TV and told me Stanwyck was a big-time movie actress. Shortly thereafter, I caught one of her movies on TV when she was young and that began my movie love affair with this great actress. As Eddie Muller has stated more than a few times, she is the greatest Hollywood actress of all-time. You can see why directors loved her and why Henry Fonda had a huge crush on her.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
View attachment 75680

This afternoon's viewing was the Criterion Blu-ray of "The Lady Eve". Criterion should be proud of this BD as it has outstanding video, audio and bonus material. I love this movie as it's one of the movies that caused me to fall in love with Barbara Stanwyck as an actress. When I was a kid in 1965, my mother noticed me watching "The Big Valley" on TV and told me Stanwyck was a big-time movie actress. Shortly thereafter, I caught one of her movies on TV when she was young and that began my movie love affair with this great actress. As Eddie Muller has stated more than a few times, she is the greatest Hollywood actress of all-time. You can see why directors loved her and why Henry Fonda had a huge crush on her.
One minor correction ... per her title card in The Big Valley ... she should be addressed as ...
1595218725254.png

"Miss" :D !

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
View attachment 75680

The seduction scene is one that the censors passed because they were eunuchs.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The seduction scene is one that the censors passed because they were eunuchs.
Not eunuchs, but celibates. I believe many of the censors were priests. They hadn't had a lot of hands on experience with women, so to speak. Maybe they thought all that heavy petting was maternal, even spiritual. I'm sure the temperature in the Paramount Theater balcony went way way up when that scene was on the screen.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Not eunuchs, but celibates. I believe many of the censors were priests. They hadn't had a lot of hands on experience with women, so to speak. Maybe they thought all that heavy petting was maternal, even spiritual. I'm sure the temperature in the Paramount Theater balcony went way way up when that scene was on the screen.
Tentpole?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Tentpole?
That's where it opened in NYC, advertised as the "vexiest picture of the year" on Feb 26th, 1941, with Tony Pastor and his orchestra, Ella Logan and Ben Blue.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An interesting article about which streaming services are more popular than others.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
An interesting article about which streaming services are more popular than others.

It IS interesting. But mighty confusing to me.

They say this is for July. But the article was published today, July 22nd.

And it includes "catalog" programming, but not "original" programming.

And I guess this is not like Neilsen ratings, but it is some form of rating of the quality of the content of what's carried on the various services (as determined by imdb ratings) as opposed to how many eyes are on the content??

But I am just dipping my toes into streaming so many I'm not "getting" it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It IS interesting. But mighty confusing to me.

They say this is for July. But the article was published today, July 22nd.

And it includes "catalog" programming, but not "original" programming.

And I guess this is not like Neilsen ratings, but it is some form of rating of the quality of the content of what's carried on the various services (as determined by imdb ratings) as opposed to how many eyes are on the content??

But I am just dipping my toes into streaming so many I'm not "getting" it.
Yeah, it's not quite all of July.:)
From June 19 – July 20, JustWatch top movies streamed (in order) included Palm Springs, Independence Day, Greyhound, Knives Out, Ford v Ferrari, The King of Staten Island, The Old Guard, Irresistible, 1917 and Relic. Top TV shows included “Yellowstone,” “The Legend of Korra,” “Alone,” “The Alienist,” “The Twilight Zone,” “Better Call Saul,” “Schitt’s Creek,” “Mad Men,” “The Good Place,” “Perry Mason”.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Isn't it kinda weird that Hamilton--debuting in the first week of July--didn't boost the Disney+ numbers more?

I don't think this article is about how popular the services are - or how many people watch them - rather it's about the quality of programming on the services...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't think this article is about how popular the services are - or how many people watch them - rather it's about the quality of programming on the services...

Right. That's what I was saying. But don't most viewers consider Hamilton to be content of a very high quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks