Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
The Breaking Point is just really good, not great? I beg to disagree. It is one of Curtiz's and Garfield's best films. And my great compatriot Juano Hernandez shines. And the final shot is one of the most poignant and revealing of the state of race relations in the United States ever depicted in film.
Hey, it even got the Criterion treatment!;)
My sentiments exactly. I watched it for the first time maybe six months ago, and found myself saying your exact words to a film friend of mine, who had recently seen it on TCM and agreed 100 percent. Also Phyllis Thaxter is transformational, the role of a lifetime, one that will forever burn in my brain. It's not what she says so much as what she doesn't say that makes her stand out.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
The Breaking Point is just really good, not great? I beg to disagree. It is one of Curtiz's and Garfield's best films. And my great compatriot Juano Hernandez shines. And the final shot is one of the most poignant and revealing of the state of race relations in the United States ever depicted in film.
Hey, it even got the Criterion treatment!;)
For clarification purposes, IMO, it's great, but that doesn't mean others share the same opinion which is why I stated "good if not great" terminology in that sentence. Is that clear enough as I try to state my film opinions as not being an absolute because it isn't for other people?

• Agreed
Reactions: bujaki

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
As for the movie itself, it's never been a favorite movie of mine for some reason. No doubt, it's a really good movie, but, it's a western I don't have a great affinity for like I do for other Stewart westerns such as "Winchester '73" or "Night Passage" to name a few. I'm not saying those two particular westerns are better than "The Naked Spur", but I just enjoy watching those two movies more than "The Naked Spur". Film appreciation is very subjective!
Very true about that, as I find The Naked Spur to be one of my favorite Mann/Stewart westerns, high above Night Passage. I enjoy each of the characters motives, how no one is 100% good or evil, and the tension that Anthony Mann builds throughout the film.
I wish this was available in a restored blu so I could retire my 2006 DVD.

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
Joseph Kearns was a such great actor who left us too soon. His distinctive voice is on so many radio shows, such as The Whistler, Suspense, and who can ever forget him as Ed the vault guard on the Jack Benny Show?
He'll always be remembered as the Doorknob in Alice in Wonderland and of course Mr. Wilson in Dennis The Menace.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Finally, I received confirmation that my Criterion Blu-rays of "The War of the Worlds" and "The Lady Eve" have shipped from Criterion. Also, email confirmation that my corrected LOA disc has shipped from SPHE.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Wow, today, they used explosions to bring down "The Palace of Auburn Hills". The first time I moved to Michigan was in 1989, a year earlier the Palace opened with the Pistons playing there. I watched my share of basketball games, concerts and even one wrestling match there. 32 years later, it's nothing, but rumble now as the Pistons play in a downtown arena now.:(

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Finally, I received confirmation that my Criterion Blu-rays of "The War of the Worlds" and "The Lady Eve" have shipped from Criterion. Also, email confirmation that my corrected LOA disc has shipped from SPHE.
[/QUOT
I got my copies of "War of the Worlds" & "The Lady Eve" from Criterion today, only a day after I received an email confirmation. Unusually fast shipping for them, as it usually takes a week. Hopefully, Robert, you'll be getting yours soon as well.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wow, today, they used explosions to bring down "The Palace of Auburn Hills". The first time I moved to Michigan was in 1989, a year earlier the Palace opened with the Pistons playing there. I watched my share of basketball games, concerts and even one wrestling match there. 32 years later, it's nothing, but rumble now as the Pistons play in a downtown arena now.:(

Did you ever go to The Center Stage in Canton? It was owned by my father-in-law. Sold and gone now, but the last time I was there, bear wrestling was the main attraction. And they still had a bull-riding machine.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Did you ever go to The Center Stage in Canton? It was owned by my father-in-law. Sold and gone now, but the last time I was there, bear wrestling was the main attraction. And they still had a bull-riding machine.
No, I used to watch wrestling as an entertainment alternative in my younger days. Not so, any longer. Back in the day, I viewed it as like watching a "live" cartoon. I didn't go to many wrestling events. I watch one at The Palace and another one at the old Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. I attended mainly basketball games and concerts at The Palace of Auburn Hills and when I lived in Indiana, the same for the Market Square Arena.

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Didn't see Muller's opening comments on "Bodyguard" (1948), but I'm never disappointed in the film itself. It's a zippy little B of the kind I always like. I'm partial to RKO B-films, regardless of genre. Honestly, I probably prefer "Bodyguard" to many of the commonly-heralded 'noir' classics, so to speak. If I'm critical of anything in the film, it's probably the overdone little directoral touches designed to ramp up the 'suspense.' Too many of them, and they start bringing too much self-conscious attention to themselves. I taped the film off-air back in the 1980s, and upgraded to disc when the Warner Archives 'mod' came out. Always got a kick out of the wildly unlikely pairing of Tierney and Priscilla Lane, which nonetheless worked out fine.

When Lawrence Tierney attended the Memphis Film Festival back in the mid-1980s, he was at a table, signing autographs, and one gent proudly approached him with an original piece of movie memorabilia (lobby-card, I think) to have signed, from one of his 1940s films. Tierney took it, looked it over, and then tore it in half, and then tersely pointed to his own stack of cheap, glossy 8x10s, telling the shocked fellow "you buy MY photo!" Needless to say, I don't think Tierney was invited to many other shows. I didn't see that incident myself, but heard about it from a friend who saw it. It wasn't until three or four years later that I encountered Tierney in downtown Hollywood, where I chatted with him for a good while. He was friendly and affable, but turned on a dime, becoming wildly surly and belligerent, cursing me out. It was pretty surreal, but I laughed it off rather quickly. There was something really off with the guy, mentally. You could just tell he was nuts in the head. It always surprised me that he was still able (and capable) of getting acting gigs, because he seemed like he really belonged in an institution!

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I learned about the Leak incident first hand from an eye witness who was sitting next to Tierney and to Eddie. It was fairly amusing, to say the least.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bodyguard. The sound you hear is the scraping of the bottom of the Noir barrel. Sorry, I just didn't like it. The wide-eyed impetuous woman (so annoyingly miscast or miswritten) who gets cornered by the bad guy; the tough-talking ex-cop eluding a dragnet and barging in to the rescue. As a Saturday matinee opener while spending most of the 86 minutes in line at the refreshment stand for Milk Duds, maybe it was passable, but it was still too long for me.

"The Big Leak" Muller narrative was much more entertaining. There are some things being 80 and not giving a piss about, if you'll excuse the metaphor, are refreshingly understandable.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
My cable went out at some point last night before Bodyguard could record, and since I missed it also this morning (cable still out), I saw that I could watch the live West Coast feed at 1 p.m. from the TCM app. (You GOTTA love streaming, folks!), so I did see the presentation after all.

Yeah, the movie's narrative was stop-and-start too much for me to get very interested in it, and the cliches were piled pretty high, too, but Eddie did his stuff fine. Since we had heard all of the Tierney trivia (including Scott Brady being his better looking brother) the last time one of his films appeared in Noir Alley, I was sorry Eddie didn't focus on some of the supporting cast, many of whom had long careers in Hollywood.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I forgot to record it so I didn't get to hear Eddie's comments but I'm guessing he told The Big Leak story. If anybody else missed it, here it is...

A lot of people forget Tierney was on Seinfeld as Elaine's father. It was supposed to be a recurring role but after some nutty behavior which included him pulling a knife, Seinfeld said he would never be allowed back.

atcolomb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Angelo
I hope that's a good sign that the Paramount Presents series will continue and with films not on Blu-ray yet and we all have our lists.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Popped3off