What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (3 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The final shot illustrates the title of Ralph Ellison's novel "The Invisible Man," since the Black boy is left alone in that desolate space, waiting for his father, seemingly forever, invisible to all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, Eddie made an error in his commentary about "The Breaking Point". I'm very surprise he made such an error because I would've thought he watched this movie often enough not to make such an obvious error. Did anybody else catch it? If so, what was it?
I guess I'm the only one that picked up on that commentary error by Eddie:

Muller stated that William Campbell shot and killed Juano Hernandez. That's incorrect, it was Guy Thomajan's character that shot him with a revolver that he pulled from his waistband. He was the leader of the race track robbers. Afterwards, Campbell's character along with Garfield dumped Hernandez's body into the ocean. At the same time, Garfield was able to dump Campbell's pump action shotgun into the ocean without Campbell realizing he did that until afterwards. Below is a photo of Thomajan in "The Breaking Point".

1595810120209.png

1595810965716.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

:( May sweet Olivia rest in peace!

1595849631578.png

This morning I watched "To Each His Own" (1946) on Peacock streaming service. In this role of an unwed mother that gave up her child and basically watched him grow up from afar was Olivia's first Oscar winning role. This movie has never been released on DVD or BD in America. I don't know why since it does have a UCLA restoration credit before the movie begins as it was released on VHS back in the day. It's been many years since I last watched this movie on VHS and that ending still brings some tears to my eyes. A great performance by Olivia along with the supporting actors, particularly, Roland Culver and Victoria Horne. For some reason, I never like John Lund in that critical role.

I have the following Blu-rays in my disc collection, but haven't watched them because I anticipated that I would rather watch them together at an appropriate time. Unfortunately, that appropriate time has finally arrived. I might even cue up "Dodge City" or "The Adventures of Robin Hood" again this week. I'll be paying attention to TCM to see what film tribute they'll have for her this week.

• Hold Back the Dawn
  • The Snake Pit
  • The Heiress

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
View attachment 76017

This morning I watched "To Each His Own" (1946) on Peacock streaming service. In this role of an unwed mother that gave up her child and basically watched him grow up from afar was Olivia's first Oscar winning role. This movie has never been released on DVD or BD in America. I don't know why since it does have a UCLA restoration credit before the movie begins as it was released on VHS back in the day. It's been many years since I last watched this movie on VHS and that ending still brings some tears to my eyes. A great performance by Olivia along with the supporting actors, particularly, Roland Culver and Victoria Horne. For some reason, I never like John Lund in that critical role.

I have the following Blu-rays in my disc collection, but haven't watched them because I anticipated that I would rather watch them together at an appropriate time. Unfortunately, that appropriate time has finally arrived. I might even cue up "Dodge City" or "The Adventures of Robin Hood" again this week. I'll be paying attention to TCM to see what film tribute they'll have for her this week.

• Hold Back the Dawn
  • The Snake Pit
  • The Heiress
I can't help but cry when Lund dances with her and calls her Mother.
Her climb up those stairs in The Heiress is a terrifying moment of triumph. She may have considered it her best film; however, I feel her best performance was in The Snake Pit.
1946-49. What years!
Hold Back the Dawn is also a good example of Dame Olivia stretching as an actor. Damn Jack Warner!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1595934453548.png

God, I love this movie! Not so much for Charles Boyer, but, for the two lead actresses Olivia and Paulette Goddard. Also, another favorite character actress of mine Rosemary DeCamp was outstanding in this movie too. Don't get me wrong, Boyer is very good in this romantic melodrama. However, everytime I watched this movie, I always enjoyed the three actresses performances in this movie even moreso. Also, a shoutout to Walter Abel as the dogmatic Immigration officer.

The Arrow Blu-ray had excellent audio and video presentations with so much bonus material that I need to experience at a later date including an audio interview of Olivia back in 1971, that runs the almost the entire length of the movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can't help but cry when Lund dances with her and calls her Mother.
Her climb up those stairs in The Heiress is a terrifying moment of triumph. She may have considered it her best film; however, I feel her best performance was in The Snake Pit.
1946-49. What years!
Hold Back the Dawn is also a good example of Dame Olivia stretching as an actor. Damn Jack Warner!
I think it's her best acting performance too. I'll be watching that very uncomfortable movie again today. A fine movie, but, damn it's rough watching it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm thinking of checking out In This Our Life. For two reasons really: Olivia is in it and faces off with Bette Davis more assuredly here than in their previous two films together and I think the DVD may be one of those Warner discs that has gone bad over the years and if so, I'll have to do something about that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm thinking of checking out In This Our Life. For two reasons really: Olivia is in it and faces off with Bette Davis more assuredly here than in their previous two films together and I think the DVD may be one of those Warner discs that has gone bad over the years and if so, I'll have to do something about that.
It is one of those problematic discs. I think I watched DVD last year for that reason and it played fine throughout the entire runtime.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is one of those problematic discs. I think I watched DVD last year for that reason and it played fine throughout the entire runtime.
It was two years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another long article about the new reality faced by the studios. They need to make more of their catalogs available digitally and on disc. Every little bit counts when theaters are shuttered.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those in the know, can you clue me into what these "Inner Sanctum Mysteries" movies are about?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For those in the know, can you clue me into what these "Inner Sanctum Mysteries" movies are about?

They're B horror movies made by Universal in the war years mostly starring Lon Chaney. I love them but I love all those Universal horror pictures from that era.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They're B horror movies made by Universal in the war years mostly starring Lon Chaney. I love them but I love all those Universal horror pictures from that era.
Does Chaney play the same character in all movies or is each movie differ with new characters?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Does Chaney play the same character in all movies or is each movie differ with new characters?
LIke Peter says, he's a different character each time.

I said they're "horror movies" but they're mysteries (like the series title says :) ) rather than having Dracula or the Wolf Man running around the European Street set at Universal. They're B-movies but if someone enjoys low budget movies of the war era, I think they'll be entertained by these movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks