What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (4 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I was shocked he didn't mention Jack Lord's two brief appearances in an obviously early movie appearance. Not having seen the movie before, I had no idea who Patricia White was, but as soon as she appeared on the screen, I knew it was that infamous Patricia Barry, the most famous TV femme fatale of all time with her velvety cooing voice and knockout looks. I think she played "bad girls" on every prime time series ever made for about thirty years. Watched a Murder, She Wrote rerun the other day, and there she was doing her same schtick that kept her well fed and sassy for so, so long.

As for the film, yep, most of the acting was really stiff, and the direction of the actors was even worse with terrible, awkward blocking in the frame. But Eddie was right about its being the first-ever episode of CSI: New York. This exact same story and clues could have been used for any episode in that long-running show.
Hell, I remember Patricia Barry when I was a teenager as she appeared on my sister's favorite soap opera "Days of Our Lives" and I think she appeared on a couple more such shows. One summer as I was recovering from a football injury I had to endure such shows on TV. I didn't mind it much as my sister waited on me hand and foot. A very attractive woman.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think you're wrong in terms of totality! I don't think it's as clear cut as you stated. I think some titles have been upgraded, but not all of them. The following titles look like new HD streams to me in comparison to their respective Blu-rays.

Dark Passage
Key Largo
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Have you carefully heard and remembered every word George has uttered on this podcast? No one is disputing your recollection of what you heard George say once, or perhaps several times. Why do you insist on disputing what Robert and I have heard him say at other times? "He always says... He has never claimed"? Always and never are absolutes. Please use them only when appropriate.

I stand by my recollection. It was memorable to me because I was so surprised. He was very specific about it. Paraphrasing: "Listeners can also find this brand new master on the iTunes Warner Archive store."

Neither Robert nor I ever implied that George said all their Blu-ray masters have been updated on streaming sites.

I'm happy to accept Robert's judgement when he says certain iTunes titles he's viewed seem to be from the same masters as the blu-rays.

Based on Robert's expert judgment, and the recollections of at least two of us, it seems highly likely that some of the hi-def iTunes versions are from Warner's newest Blu-ray masters.

I'm sure George would be happy to shed light on the question of how can we tell which ones.

Chris
I’m bowing out of this conversation because the hostility is a bit more than I’m comfortable with. I am truly delighted to hear than some WAC iTunes files have been upgraded to the new masters. And If George declared that a title was simultaneously being released on iTunes with the same master as Blu-ray, then he certainly would have known what he was talking about.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m bowing out of this conversation because the hostility is a bit more than I’m comfortable with. I am truly delighted to hear than some WAC iTunes files have been upgraded to the new masters. And If George declared that a title was simultaneously being released on iTunes with the same master as Blu-ray, then he certainly would have known what he was talking about.
Hostility??? Come on, Mark! There is no hostility towards you. You're not Warner. If you don't want to continue this discussion that's fine, but don't place it as being hostile towards you. Listen, I don't mince words, but I wasn't as upset as you think I was about these HD streams. I don't like it and it pisses me off about Warner's practices, but that's a long way from being hostile towards anybody including Warner. One of the problems with communicating through a forum like ours without face to face contact is that communication can be misinterpreted very easily. Forums and boards communication is even more difficult than just talking to someone over the phone because there is little inflection with written posts that you can easily pick up with the spoken word.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don’t know about ‘hostility ‘ but your anger towards Warner seems inconsistent.

I don’t remember you displaying the same outrage towards Paramount with their War Of The Worlds action. To me, their only releasing to Digital (with a big screw-you to physical collectors) is just as bad. Yet you came off more accepting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t know about ‘hostility ‘ but your anger towards Warner seems inconsistent.

I don’t remember you displaying the same outrage towards Paramount with their War Of The Worlds action. To me, their only releasing to Digital (with a big screw-you to physical collectors) is just as bad. Yet you came off more accepting.
Perhaps because I have a large digital library, but a much larger disc library that I'm running out of storage room for. I'd already made the decision to shift some of my purchases away from discs due to the issue I'm currently having with storage. That doesn't mean I'm happy that Paramount isn't releasing more discs, but it's not my main concern right now especially when I bought a HD digital stream from iTunes that upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision for only $4.99. If you have a problem with Paramount not releasing titles on disc then have at it. As far as my anger towards Warner, well that has dissipated some since last night with some sleep and just a better mood in general.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've been doing some culling and digital replacement, too. For films that don't seem to have a Blu-ray disc in their immediate futures (like The Nun's Story, Up the Down Staircase, Till the Clouds Roll By, The Out-of-Towners) or movies that I like but don't watch very often and don't need the available Blu-rays (Heartburn, As Good as It Gets), I went ahead and bought the HD streams for $4.99 when they were available and gifted the DVDs to friends.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been doing some culling and digital replacement, too. For films that don't seem to have a Blu-ray disc in their immediate futures (like The Nun's Story, Up the Down Staircase, Till the Clouds Roll By, The Out-of-Towners) or movies that I like but don't watch very often and don't need the available Blu-rays (Heartburn, As Good as It Gets), I went ahead and bought the HD streams for $4.99 when they were available and gifted the DVDs to friends.
Right, favorite films with repeat viewing values I want on disc. Some blind buys or films I like, but don't love which means I might watch once in five years or so, I'm satisfied with digital especially if they're 4K digital versus Blu-ray. The same for titles only released on DVD that look like a BD release is not looking promising, but have HD digital available right now. Of course, the digital pricing has to be right.:)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The same for titles only released on DVD that look like a BD release is not looking promising, but have HD digital available right now. Of course, the digital pricing has to be right.:)
And, naturally, when we buy these digital releases, we practically ASSURE that a Blu-ray will soon be forthcoming! :rolleyes:

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Not having seen the movie before, I had no idea who Patricia White was, but as soon as she appeared on the screen, I knew it was that infamous Patricia Barry, the most famous TV femme fatale of all time with her velvety cooing voice and knockout looks. I think she played "bad girls" on every prime time series ever made for about thirty years. Watched a Murder, She Wrote rerun the other day, and there she was doing her same schtick that kept her well fed and sassy for so, so long.

She was enjoyable as a femme fatale in the Mannix episode "Only Giants Can Play," co-starring Slim Pickens.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm surprised Mueller doesn't mention the brief appearance by Jack Lord. The whole thing... mercifully brief.

Yes, I was shocked he didn't mention Jack Lord's two brief appearances in an obviously early movie appearance.

27351BB5-16E9-48F5-908E-2904616F7094.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm getting the itch to upgrade my office HT setup. My Panny TC-P50GT30 is going on eight years now and I like to watch more 4K/Atmos movies without firing up my main HT setup so I can extend the life of my LG OLED. The smart move is to purchase the 55" TCL 6 Series for about $500. However, I'm in love with the picture quality of the LG OLED displays. With that said, I have to say that spending three times the money for an LG OLED is not very prudent on my part. I'll probably talk to Robert Zohn over at Values Electronics to see what kind of deal I can get with the 55" C8P OLED. I'll need to upgrade my receiver too in order to listen to Dolby Atmos stuff. Again, the smart and more prudent move would be to buy the TCL and spend the difference on a newer receiver like the Denon 4500/3500 or Yamaha 2080/1080 models. Decisions, decisions need to be made in order to have a 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision display with a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup in my home office.
My latest affliction to upgrade fever is running real hot. I'm formulating my plan now to upgrade my home office HT. I'm about done with which equipment I'm going to purchase. The TCL 6 Series is out of the running as I'm worried about their inconsistent build quality. I don't want to be changing out displays like some people have with this model after having it for a few weeks or so. Furthermore, I don't want to have any buyer remorse for buying some piece of equipment that I wasn't sure about in the first place.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm getting the itch to upgrade my office HT setup. My Panny TC-P50GT30 is going on eight years now and I like to watch more 4K/Atmos movies without firing up my main HT setup so I can extend the life of my LG OLED. The smart move is to purchase the 55" TCL 6 Series for about $500. However, I'm in love with the picture quality of the LG OLED displays. With that said, I have to say that spending three times the money for an LG OLED is not very prudent on my part. I'll probably talk to Robert Zohn over at Values Electronics to see what kind of deal I can get with the 55" C8P OLED. I'll need to upgrade my receiver too in order to listen to Dolby Atmos stuff. Again, the smart and more prudent move would be to buy the TCL and spend the difference on a newer receiver like the Denon 4500/3500 or Yamaha 2080/1080 models. Decisions, decisions need to be made in order to have a 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision display with a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup in my home office.
As I stated in other threads, I finally bought my new HT equipment to upgrade my second HT in my home office. I lose 3-D by replacing that old Panny, but I never watch 3-D in my home office anyway as I do with my main HT and my bedroom HT.

LG OLED55C9PUA

Marantz SR6013

And a new TV Stand.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
As I stated in other threads, I finally bought my new HT equipment to upgrade my second HT in my home office. I lose 3-D by replacing that old Panny, but I never watch 3-D in my home office anyway as I do with my main HT and my bedroom HT.

LG OLED55C9PUA

Marantz SR6013

And a new TV Stand.

Robert,

What speakers do you use with this set up?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

What speakers do you use with this set up?
Right now, Polk speakers that were replaced by Paradigm and KEF speakers from my other home theater locations, but they won't be for long. As soon as I get the new equipment including the TV stand in place, I will be upgrading my speakers with even new speaker wiring. I want to see everything in place before I make a final decision as I may want some speakers with a smaller footprint. I got the new receiver in place so I've been playing around with that all day. However, I got some other projects going on in my house so I won't have my other new stuff in place for another ten days.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This week's Noir Alley selection is "The People Against O'Hara" (1951). It's been a while since I last watched this movie. Hopefully, I'll try to get to it tomorrow, but I have a lot of stuff I'm doing around the house so I haven't been watching any movies nor TV over the past week which will continue into next week too. I still haven't watched "The Tattooed Stranger" yet nor the last two episodes of "Sherlock".

TCM's Noir Alley Revised 2019 schedule.

03-09-19: D.O.A. (1950)
03-16-19: High Sierra (1941)
03-23-19: Lady in the Lake (1946)
03-30-19: Border Incident (1949)
04-06-19: 99 River Street (1953)
04-13-19: Nobody Lives Forever (1946)
04-20-19: M (1951)
04-27-19: Woman on the Run (1950)
05-04-19: Nightmare Alley (1947)
05-11-19: White Heat (1949)
05-18-19: Key Largo (1948)
05-25-19: Dead Reckoning (1947)
06-01-19: The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
06-08-19: Nora Prentiss (1947)
06-15-19: Pickup on South Street (1953)
06-22-19: Shadow on the Wall (1950)
06-29-19: On Dangerous Ground (1951)
07-06-19: The Tattooed Stranger (1950)
07-13-19: The People Against O'Hara (1951)
07-20-19: While the City Sleeps (1956)
07-27-19: Thieves' Highway (1949)
09-07-19: The Big Clock (1948)
09-14-19: Nocturne (1946)
09-21-19: The Woman on the Beach (1947)
09-28-19: The Harder They Fall (1956)
10-05-19: Trapped (1949) replaces The Bribe (1949)
10-12-19: Clash By Night (1952)
10-19-19: This Gun For Hire (1942)
10-26-19: Force of Evil (1948) replaces A Woman's Secret (1949)
11-02-19: Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
11-09-19: Johnny Eager (1941)
11-16-19: The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
11-23-19: Kansas City Confidential (1952)
11-30-19: The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
12-07-19: Berlin Express (1948)
12-14-19: Criss Cross (1949)
12-21-19: Cash on Demand (1961) replaces I Died a Thousand Times (1955)
12-28-19: Repeat Performance (1947)
01-04-20: The Big Sleep (1946)
01-11-20: The Captive City (1952)
01-18-20: The Big Night (1951)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have the DVR set to record The People Against O'Hara, but since I'll be reviewing Hello, Frisco, Hello tomorrow (and doing laundry and other household jobs), I may not get to it until later in the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks