What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The People Against O'Hara. Loved it. Superb tight script and plotted story. Great acting and directing, and the lighting was fantastic. Crisp print, as well. I think The Verdict with Paul Newman as an attorney struggling with sobriety owes some debt to Tracy and the character theme of this story, which I found more subdued but better.William Campbell was also memorable as the DA's witness, and probably cemented much of his future typecasting as a sniveling slimeball with this performance (I can't help but think of the Star Trek episode he starred in).

My only quibble through most of the film was that it was more of a classic drama than a Noir, but then....

So glad I saw this for the first time (and not just because I'm the son of an alcoholic attorney who kicked it).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Clark's review of "Gaslight" talks about the differences between the two film versions. I prefer the latter version for the reasons he mentions in his review. Also, I agree with his comment that "National Velvet" should be released on Blu-ray. It's a shame that classic film isn't seen in 1080p.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/gaslight-review/

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally got around to The People Against O'Hara. Loved Eddie's intro and coda comments; really zeroed in on important things to note in the film. I've always liked it except for the ending. No, not the death part which seemed rather inevitable but the fact that the mystery of the real murderer was just kind of sloughed off at the end.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This week's Noir Alley selection is "While the City Sleeps" (1956). A guilty pleasure of mine that I've seen too many times to count them. A great cast and another Fritz Lang directed film.

TCM's Noir Alley Revised 2019 schedule.

03-09-19: D.O.A. (1950)
03-16-19: High Sierra (1941)
03-23-19: Lady in the Lake (1946)
03-30-19: Border Incident (1949)
04-06-19: 99 River Street (1953)
04-13-19: Nobody Lives Forever (1946)
04-20-19: M (1951)
04-27-19: Woman on the Run (1950)
05-04-19: Nightmare Alley (1947)
05-11-19: White Heat (1949)
05-18-19: Key Largo (1948)
05-25-19: Dead Reckoning (1947)
06-01-19: The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
06-08-19: Nora Prentiss (1947)
06-15-19: Pickup on South Street (1953)
06-22-19: Shadow on the Wall (1950)
06-29-19: On Dangerous Ground (1951)
07-06-19: The Tattooed Stranger (1950)
07-13-19: The People Against O'Hara (1951)
07-20-19: While the City Sleeps (1956)
07-27-19: Thieves' Highway (1949)
09-07-19: The Big Clock (1948)
09-14-19: Nocturne (1946)
09-21-19: The Woman on the Beach (1947)
09-28-19: The Harder They Fall (1956)
10-05-19: Trapped (1949) replaces The Bribe (1949)
10-12-19: Clash By Night (1952)
10-19-19: This Gun For Hire (1942)
10-26-19: Force of Evil (1948) replaces A Woman's Secret (1949)
11-02-19: Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
11-09-19: Johnny Eager (1941)
11-16-19: The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
11-23-19: Kansas City Confidential (1952)
11-30-19: The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
12-07-19: Berlin Express (1948)
12-14-19: Criss Cross (1949)
12-21-19: Cash on Demand (1961) replaces I Died a Thousand Times (1955)
12-28-19: Repeat Performance (1947)
01-04-20: The Big Sleep (1946)
01-11-20: The Captive City (1952)
01-18-20: The Big Night (1951)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally got around to The People Against O'Hara. Loved Eddie's intro and coda comments; really zeroed in on important things to note in the film. I've always liked it except for the ending. No, not the death part which seemed rather inevitable but the fact that the mystery of the real murderer was just kind of sloughed off at the end.
That part about the real murderer has always been weak as I would think the police should've suspected they're involvement considering the reputation of that family.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Looking forward to Thieves Highway next week. I'm curious as to what Eddie says about why it's considered a noir. Certainly noir-ish, but really more of a drama.

BTW Robert, I will be at the Yankees/Twins games Mon-Wed. Please go easy on us for once ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
By streaming my copy of The Big Clock tonight, I'm jumping the gun on Eddie by a couple of weeks, but I couldn't wait to watch it again any longer. Such a gripping cat and mouse game.

I've set While the City Sleeps to record tonight to get Eddie's before and after comments.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From Facebook an announcement of several titles being prepared for Blu-ray release. I have about four of those titles in HD on iTunes. I doubt I'll buy any of these considering the pricing of Shout! Factory/Scream prior BD releases except "The Abominable Snowman". That Universal Horror set I might be at a sale price.

Scream Factory
1 hr ·
*** MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF UPCOMING TITLES ***

We just revealed a whopping 20+ upcoming films in person at our San Diego Comic Con panel! The following list are the exciting Blu-rays in progress and all the details we have at the moment.

• THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (1957) – Early ’50s chiller starring Peter Cushing (in his first film for Hammer Films). Expected release: Nov 2019.

• BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1986) – We aim to create the definitive release of one of John Carpenter’s biggest and most beloved films in a 2-disc set. To raise the stakes, we’ll be releasing a Collector’s Edition and a Steelbook™ (both with the same content) simultaneously on the same date. Expected release: Nov or Dec 2019.

• BODY PARTS (1991) – After losing his arm in a car accident, a criminal psychologist has it replaced with a limb that belonged to a serial killer. Jeff Fahey (The Lawnmower Man) stars in Eric Red’s (Bad Moon) underrated flick. Expected Release: Jan 2020.

• DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE (1971) – This gender-bending excursion from Hammer Films is quite the trip! Ralph Bates stars in this thriller directed by Roy Ward Baker (The Vampire Lovers). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

• DRACULA (1979) (Collector’s Edition) – John Badham’s slick and sophisticated telling of the legendary story flies into our midst in a 2-disc set. Includes a new transfer of the theatrical version as seen in theaters in 1979 with full color as well as the alternate director-approved version of the film created in 1991 for home video with a muted color palette. Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• THE FAN (1981) – This often-overlooked ’80s slasher film (which originally came out in theaters the same month as The Burning, Friday the 13th Part 2, Graduation Day and Happy Birthday to Me) stars Michael Biehn (Aliens) playing a deranged admirer who sets his sights on a Broadway star (screen legend Lauren Bacall). Score by Pino Donaggio (Dressed to Kill). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• THE FLY COLLECTION – The insect-morphing franchise buzzes into town in a complete set that includes the original terrors The Fly (1958), Return of the Fly (1959), Curse of the Fly (1965) as well as the horrifying reboots The Fly (1986) and The Fly II (1989). We’re setting this packaging up just like we did recently for Critters and The Omen collections (Rigid slipcase, individual cases). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

• LET’S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) – This creepy, atmospheric and very underrated psychological cult classic from the early ’70s makes its long-awaited Blu-ray format debut! Expected Release: Jan 2020.

• MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) (Collector’s Edition) – Don’t have a heart attack but “Harry Warden” is back!! ❤ The original ’80s slasher film receives more love and attention from us with a planned 2-Disc set. Expected Release: Feb 2020 — before Valentine’s Day.

• PET SEMATARY II (1992) (Collector’s Edition) – Mary Lambert’s entertaining follow up to her 1989 original film based on the Stephen King novel stars Edward Furlong (Brainscan), Anthony Edwards (Revenge of the Nerds) and Clancy Brown (The Shawshank Redemption). Expected Release: Feb 2020.

• PROPHECY (1979) – Writer David Seltzer (The Omen) and Director John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) spin a monstrous yarn about the dangers of environmental pollution in the deep woods of Maine. Robert Foxworth (Damien: Omen II) and Talia Shire (Rocky) star with horrifying monster makeup effects by Thomas Burman (Invasion of the Body Snatchers). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• ROAD GAMES (1981) (Collector’s Edition) – Legendary Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis hits the roads with Stacy Keach (The New Mike Hammer) and a serial killer against a deserted Australian backdrop. From Director Richard Franklin (Psycho II, Patrick). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• SILVER BULLET (1985) (Collector’s Edition) – A werewolf terrorizes a small New England town in this fang-baring film written by Stephen King. Stars Corey Haim (The Lost Boys), Everett McGill (Twin Peaks) and Gary Busey (The Buddy Holly Story). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

• UNIVERSAL HORROR COLLECTION VOLUME III – Another round of early classic horror films are on tap with Tower of London (1939), Man Made Monster (1941), The Black Cat (1941) and Horror Island (1941). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

All releases are Region A for U.S. and Canadian Territories.

Also announced tonight: More Exclusive-to-Scream Factory NECA© action figures are coming soon!

• NIGHT OF THE DEMONS – Last year we unleashed the limited-edition “Angela” character… but we all know she needs her friends to party with! Terrifying “Suzanne” and “Stooge” demons are ready to let loose and will be sold as a 2-pack with an expected release before Halloween 2019.

• THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE – The 1982 driller-killer slasher classic will see its central villain “Russ Thorn” getting the toy treatment. New Steelbook packaging plus a new 4K scan of the film is also in the works. Expected release date: Jan 2020.

Be the first to know when these become available to pre-order @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/new-title-announcements-fro…/

And if that weren’t enough good news, we’ll add some more! We have even more titles and deals in the works that should take us through the end of 2020 if all goes accordingly to plan. So if you didn’t see one of your favorites here, it may very well be in progress for near year and announced in the future.

If you've made it this far, we definitely want to take this moment to sincerely thank you guys for the support and love during the last 7 seven years of Scream Factory. It’s a rollercoaster of a brand as you know…and we couldn’t do it without you! ❤

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
From Facebook an announcement of several titles being prepared for Blu-ray release. I have about four of those titles in HD on iTunes. I doubt I'll buy any of these considering the pricing of Shout! Factory/Scream prior BD releases.

Scream Factory
1 hr ·
*** MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF UPCOMING TITLES ***

We just revealed a whopping 20+ upcoming films in person at our San Diego Comic Con panel! The following list are the exciting Blu-rays in progress and all the details we have at the moment.

• THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (1957) – Early ’50s chiller starring Peter Cushing (in his first film for Hammer Films). Expected release: Nov 2019.

• BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (1986) – We aim to create the definitive release of one of John Carpenter’s biggest and most beloved films in a 2-disc set. To raise the stakes, we’ll be releasing a Collector’s Edition and a Steelbook™ (both with the same content) simultaneously on the same date. Expected release: Nov or Dec 2019.

• BODY PARTS (1991) – After losing his arm in a car accident, a criminal psychologist has it replaced with a limb that belonged to a serial killer. Jeff Fahey (The Lawnmower Man) stars in Eric Red’s (Bad Moon) underrated flick. Expected Release: Jan 2020.

• DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE (1971) – This gender-bending excursion from Hammer Films is quite the trip! Ralph Bates stars in this thriller directed by Roy Ward Baker (The Vampire Lovers). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

• DRACULA (1979) (Collector’s Edition) – John Badham’s slick and sophisticated telling of the legendary story flies into our midst in a 2-disc set. Includes a new transfer of the theatrical version as seen in theaters in 1979 with full color as well as the alternate director-approved version of the film created in 1991 for home video with a muted color palette. Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• THE FAN (1981) – This often-overlooked ’80s slasher film (which originally came out in theaters the same month as The Burning, Friday the 13th Part 2, Graduation Day and Happy Birthday to Me) stars Michael Biehn (Aliens) playing a deranged admirer who sets his sights on a Broadway star (screen legend Lauren Bacall). Score by Pino Donaggio (Dressed to Kill). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• THE FLY COLLECTION – The insect-morphing franchise buzzes into town in a complete set that includes the original terrors The Fly (1958), Return of the Fly (1959), Curse of the Fly (1965) as well as the horrifying reboots The Fly (1986) and The Fly II (1989). We’re setting this packaging up just like we did recently for Critters and The Omen collections (Rigid slipcase, individual cases). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

• LET’S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH (1971) – This creepy, atmospheric and very underrated psychological cult classic from the early ’70s makes its long-awaited Blu-ray format debut! Expected Release: Jan 2020.

• MY BLOODY VALENTINE (1981) (Collector’s Edition) – Don’t have a heart attack but “Harry Warden” is back!! ❤ The original ’80s slasher film receives more love and attention from us with a planned 2-Disc set. Expected Release: Feb 2020 — before Valentine’s Day.

• PET SEMATARY II (1992) (Collector’s Edition) – Mary Lambert’s entertaining follow up to her 1989 original film based on the Stephen King novel stars Edward Furlong (Brainscan), Anthony Edwards (Revenge of the Nerds) and Clancy Brown (The Shawshank Redemption). Expected Release: Feb 2020.

• PROPHECY (1979) – Writer David Seltzer (The Omen) and Director John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate) spin a monstrous yarn about the dangers of environmental pollution in the deep woods of Maine. Robert Foxworth (Damien: Omen II) and Talia Shire (Rocky) star with horrifying monster makeup effects by Thomas Burman (Invasion of the Body Snatchers). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• ROAD GAMES (1981) (Collector’s Edition) – Legendary Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis hits the roads with Stacy Keach (The New Mike Hammer) and a serial killer against a deserted Australian backdrop. From Director Richard Franklin (Psycho II, Patrick). Expected Release: Nov 2019.

• SILVER BULLET (1985) (Collector’s Edition) – A werewolf terrorizes a small New England town in this fang-baring film written by Stephen King. Stars Corey Haim (The Lost Boys), Everett McGill (Twin Peaks) and Gary Busey (The Buddy Holly Story). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

• UNIVERSAL HORROR COLLECTION VOLUME III – Another round of early classic horror films are on tap with Tower of London (1939), Man Made Monster (1941), The Black Cat (1941) and Horror Island (1941). Expected Release: Dec 2019.

All releases are Region A for U.S. and Canadian Territories.

Also announced tonight: More Exclusive-to-Scream Factory NECA© action figures are coming soon!

• NIGHT OF THE DEMONS – Last year we unleashed the limited-edition “Angela” character… but we all know she needs her friends to party with! Terrifying “Suzanne” and “Stooge” demons are ready to let loose and will be sold as a 2-pack with an expected release before Halloween 2019.

• THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE – The 1982 driller-killer slasher classic will see its central villain “Russ Thorn” getting the toy treatment. New Steelbook packaging plus a new 4K scan of the film is also in the works. Expected release date: Jan 2020.

Be the first to know when these become available to pre-order @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/new-title-announcements-fro…/

And if that weren’t enough good news, we’ll add some more! We have even more titles and deals in the works that should take us through the end of 2020 if all goes accordingly to plan. So if you didn’t see one of your favorites here, it may very well be in progress for near year and announced in the future.

If you've made it this far, we definitely want to take this moment to sincerely thank you guys for the support and love during the last 7 seven years of Scream Factory. It’s a rollercoaster of a brand as you know…and we couldn’t do it without you! ❤

I’m definitely in for Dracula, Road Games and the Universal Horror 3 set. Perhaps a few others as well when on sale.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Silver Bullet has always been a guilty pleasure for me, in no small part due to the presence of Everett McGill. He is one of those actors whose work I have always enjoyed. He was always effective at projecting a sense of menace, when the role called for that quality. Thinking about it just a bit; I think it was his voice, which is very distinctive.

Might have to pick that title up; maybe as a Christmas present to myself. :)

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Silver Bullet has always been a guilty pleasure for me, in no small part due to the presence of Everett McGill. He is one of those actors whose work I have always enjoyed. He was always effective at projecting a sense of menace, when the role called for that quality. Thinking about it just a bit; I think it was his voice, which is very distinctive.

Might have to pick that title up; maybe as a Christmas present to myself. :)

- Walter.
Walter,

It's a guilty pleasure of mine too. I actually first viewed this film in a movie theater. I own the 2002 DVD and purchased the HD digital from iTunes last year for $4.99. There is a possibility that I might buy this upcoming BD release depending on the specs. and bonus material. However, I'm thinking since this Universal, if there are improved specs. then perhaps my HD digital will be upgraded too like prior Universal titles on iTunes.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another release of Big Trouble in Little China? The only movie i dipped more times is Army of Darkness.
Oh well, pass the dipper, I'm in again.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Possibly Dracula.

I own the current release, and and I am not totally unhappy with the color choice. But I might want both versions (depending on my mood). I would need to see a comparison of the two discs to determine if its worth a double-dip.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
While the City Sleeps. ZZZZZZ. The City isn't the only one. A lot of yapping and drinking. I hope the cast had a good time boozing and smooching their way through this snooze-fest that bore no resemblance to actual journalism, because I was mostly cringing (and trying to determine if Dana Andrews was ever acting in his numerous drunk scenes).

The only question I have left is where did Muller get those mint editions of EC Comics? They must be reprints, because the only originals I have are practically in tatters. I have many of the book bound reprints, but they don't do justice to the original coloring. The minute we comic collectors in the early 60s (I could have put my son through college with the profits if I still had all my original Marvel comics from then) heard these earlier comics were condemned for corrupting the minds of the youth and inciting violence, of course we had to have them. Haven't killed anybody yet. Per the original version of this story, they would have been more accurate sticking with the Bible as the motivator.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, "While the City Sleeps" is a campy movie, but I always enjoyed it. Perhaps because I first watched it during my childhood and I always liked the in-fighting between the different competing executives as they try to undercut their rival. Of course, liking the cast is another reason for my affinity towards the movie. Without a doubt, it has little resemblance to how a newspaper was run back in the day.

As Eddie stated, it's not a film noir and I find it humorous it has been labeled as such since I was a little kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks