Cover images: Where to find...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JJR512, Oct 26, 2001.

1. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I have a bunch of DVDs here that have no case. My fiance bought them used from her local library when she was still living with her mother, and for whatever reason she didn't want her mother to know about her DVD purchases, so in order to hide them, she threw away the cases and stored them in one of those CaseLogic things with the clear plastic sleeves.
    Now I now where to get empty cases, but I need the cover art to go with them. There are probably about two dozen or so, so I'm looking for people to post all the sites they know about that have cover art images.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com [email protected] Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

2. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

If you sign up for the paid version of DVD Profiler, you get to download reasonably high-res (more like medium-res) cover scans -- although these don't seem to be 300dpi or always have the spines scanned.
    If you post a list of the titles, I'll be happy to scan in any from my collection and e-mail 'em to you. Some folks here helped me get some scans for used DVDs I bought without covers, and I'd love to return the favor.
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Theater:
    Mike & Cheryl's Screening Room

3. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

10 Things I Hate About You
    The Astronaut's Wife
    The Bachelor
    Blast from the Past
    Blue Streak
    The Bone Collector
    Bowfinger
    Brokedown Palace
    Crazy in Alabama
    Cruel Intentions
    Deep Blue Sea
    Dogma
    Double Jeopardy
    Drive Me Crazy
    Election
    End of Days
    Enemy of the State
    Entrapment
    Eye of the Beholder
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Galazy Quest
    Ghostbusters
    Halloween H2O
    Hercules
    Lake Placid
    Leprechaun in the Hood
    Love Stinks
    Mickey Blue Eyes
    A Midsummer Night's Dream
    Mystery Men
    Never Been Kissed
    Notting Hill
    The Out of Towners
    Practical Magic
    Rush Hour
    Scream 3
    The Sixth Sense (probably will get the Vista Series so don't bother)
    Stir of Echoes
    Storm of the Century
    Teaching Mrs. Tingle
    Three to Tango
    Urban Legend
    Varsity Blues
    Wild Wild West
    Geez, guess it was more than I though! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com [email protected] Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)

4. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I don't suppose you have Dick (w/ Kirsten Dunst) as well? My cat peed on mine and I have been looking for a scan of it ever since. None of the websites have it!
    ------------------
    Joel
    [email protected]
    "I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
    digitallyOBSESSED

5. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Good Lord! Your finacee sure has a DVD addiction problem! How in the hell do you hide that many discs from your parents?!?!
    I'm sure we'll see a movie about this "hidden shame" on Lifetime soon enough...
    ------------------
    webmaster davisdvd.com
    International Exclusives

6. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

She was only trying to hide them from her mother, when she still lived with her mother (before we got our apartment together). I don't know the exact reason for this, but I believe it is the standard thing of people who still live at home (live with the parents) do not want the parents to know how much money they spend on things the parents would consider frivolous. The CaseLogic CD holder (one of the travel-type things with the black canvas exterior and pages of clear plastic CD-holder-sleeves inside, closed by a zipper) where she stored the discs was quite easy to hide. Now in our apartment we have the DVDs that I bought on my own, which of course are still in their correct packaging, on a shelf.
    A few of her titles I intend to replace sometime in the future when newer versions come out, for example Sixth Sense. I also intend to get the Ghostbusters/GB2 2-pack, so that isn't a worry. Some of her titles I'm really not interested in at all, and could care less. But some of them I really want to be able to display in the regular collection. I can't quite bring myself to buy a new copy of a title just to get the case (unless there's a new and improved version, like Sixth Sense, as mentioned before). But I know I will end up doing this for some of them anyway...but for the most part, I think I can manage to be happy, or at least a little bit less unhappy, if I just have reproduction cases.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by JustinR on October 27, 2001 at 04:18 AM]

7. Mike Brantley

Justin, I have Entrapment and The Sixth Sense, but that's all from your list. I'll scan them and e-mail them to you at some point this weekend.
    Sorry I don't have more. Good luck!
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Theater:

8. Gennaro Bitti

Gennaro Bitti Auditioning

hi, i've been reading posts on this forum for over 2 years, and have just become a member.
    I also have been chasing covers, mainly to convert the snappers to amaray cases.
    there are a few sites that i use where there are some great scans. If you are only interested in covers there is one european site that has nearly 2000 covers, but only at 100 to 200 DPI. As a stop gap its better than nothing, as long as you have a good printer and a lot of ink.
    the rest of the files are pretty big so you need a lot of time or a cable modem.
    links are http://home.nc.rr.com/vmaxfaq/dvdcovers/ http://members.fortunecity.com/micke...stom/id12.html http://members.fortunecity.com/coverscans/ http://dvdcovers.20m.com/amex.html http://www.dvdcoverart.com/
    and http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers.php
    this site has covers for both cd's and DVD's but mainly european covers. (usually the same front but the backs are in different languages)
    hope this helps

9. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

10. Mike Brantley

Justin, I just e-mailed you "Entrapment," "Sixth Sense" and "Eyes Wide Shut." I realized I have "Galaxy Quest," too (you spelled it funny!), so that's being scanned now.
    I still have three DVDs without covers. "The Art of War" disc was inside the Sony open box player I bought at Sears earlier this year, so I kept it. The salesman told me a family had returned the player because they didn't like "them black bars" on the DVD picture. Fine by me, as the player was heavily discounted and in perfect condition, and I got a free movie (just no cover).
    I also am on the lookout for cover scans for "Summer of Sam" and "October Sky." I bought them used, and they had no covers.
    Good luck on your quest!
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Theater:

11. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Joel, I take it that your cat does not like the movie Dick. Damn animals!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    God bless!
    jeffrey noel
    My DVD Collection