What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Changeling -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Peter Medak's 1980 horror / thriller The Changeling is a genuinely creepy haunted house mansion really huge mansion film. There are no bloodied ghosts popping out, and not a single shot of someone looking in a medicine cabinet mirror, and closing it to find something staring back at them.

A major player in the film is the house, which is Hatley Castle, Vancouver Island, BC.

The structure was completed in 1908, and appropriate the date 1909 falls neatly into he storyline.

In addition to The Changeling, the Castle was used for a few X-Men films as well as Deadpool.

It's a psychological thriller with a superb cast headed by George C. Scott.

Seems that Canadian productions have element problems, and this one is no exception from the filmmakers. Where does one go for elements, who is holding which rights?

Possibly because of that, this is a 4k scan derived from a 35 printing dupe, which means the opticals, inclusive of the MT are soft and on the grainy side, but the body of the film is fine. It's actually better than the quality one would have seen at the time in projection.

Color is fine. Black levels comfortable. Grain structure (for the body of the film) appears normal, with a pleasant velvety sheen.

While the film certainly has some early '80s attributes, it holds up well for today's audiences, and might be ripe for a re-make, if anyone know who holds the re-make rights.

A quality 4k effort from Severin, the same firm that released the incredibly beautiful restoration of Out of the Blue.

That was the restoration that necessitated reels of OCN to be taped together in order to be scanned. A huge and costly operation, which is rumored to have run well in seven figures - one of the most expensive restorations ever produced.

I'd love to see Severin release more independent 4k, as they're a class act. In addition to the 4k, the set includes, a Blu-ray as well as a CD of the score.

For slipcover addicts, this one is special and probably limited to the first run. Beautiful artwork, with title embossed on the front cover in orange. It's a heavy cover, as the front is double thickness, with an extra layer on the interior.

Image - 4 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3.25

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ironically, I just ordered this 4K disc this morning once I found a low enough price along with a 15% coupon that fitted my budget.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I'm hardly the expert but I'm not sure about the color being fine. I'm seeing overly hot sunburnt skin tones that don't seem natural.

Anyone else?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm hardly the expert but I'm not sure about the color being fine. I'm seeing overly hot sunburnt skin tones that don't seem natural.

Anyone else?
Mr. Scott occasionally appeared a bit more toned than other players, who seemed fine. If I was dealing with an unhappy spirit, I might be a bit heated also.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Mr. Scott occasionally appeared a bit more toned than other players, who seemed fine. If I was dealing with an unhappy spirit, I might be a bit heated also.
Scott was pretty darn tan in Firestarter.

...of course he was also supposed to be playing a half-blind Native American in that movie.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This is a wonderful movie and one that I found quite frightening. I'm glad to see it get a quality release.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
A marvelous film, and from the day it opened in New York it was acknowledged as being at the higher end of its genre. It helped that Scott was at the top of his game, sober, and took the project seriously.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Anyone know of or have an opinion on the differences, if any, between this 4K release and Second Sight's 4K release?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Peter Medak's 1980 horror / thriller The Changeling is a genuinely creepy haunted house mansion really huge mansion film. There are no bloodied ghosts popping out, and not a single shot of someone looking in a medicine cabinet mirror, and closing it to find something staring back at them.

A major player in the film is the house, which is Hatley Castle, Vancouver Island, BC.

The structure was completed in 1908, and appropriate the date 1909 falls neatly into he storyline.

In addition to The Changeling, the Castle was used for a few X-Men films as well as Deadpool.

It's a psychological thriller with a superb cast headed by George C. Scott.

Seems that Canadian productions have element problems, and this one is no exception from the filmmakers. Where does one go for elements, who is holding which rights?

Possibly because of that, this is a 4k scan derived from a 35 printing dupe, which means the opticals, inclusive of the MT are soft and on the grainy side, but the body of the film is fine. It's actually better than the quality one would have seen at the time in projection.

Color is fine. Black levels comfortable. Grain structure (for the body of the film) appears normal, with a pleasant velvety sheen.

While the film certainly has some early '80s attributes, it holds up well for today's audiences, and might be ripe for a re-make, if anyone know who holds the re-make rights.

A quality 4k effort from Severin, the same firm that released the incredibly beautiful restoration of Out of the Blue.

That was the restoration that necessitated reels of OCN to be taped together in order to be scanned. A huge and costly operation, which is rumored to have run well in seven figures - one of the most expensive restorations ever produced.

I'd love to see Severin release more independent 4k, as they're a class act. In addition to the 4k, the set includes, a Blu-ray as well as a CD of the score.

For slipcover addicts, this one is special and probably limited to the first run. Beautiful artwork, with title embossed on the front cover in orange. It's a heavy cover, as the front is double thickness, with an extra layer on the interior.

Image - 4 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3.25

Highly Recommended

RAH

Rights are weird on this one. It was an AFD release, with involvement from a pre-Carolco Mario Kassar and Andrew Vajna. The Canadian Producers were the founders of Cineplex.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks