What's new

Cover Art - Dawn of the Dead (Divimax) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if Target follows tradition and has this priced (and available) like two other realtatively high profile AB releases (Day/Dead, Halloween 25th) it should be around $15.99 street week.

after The Accidental Tourist, this is the 4th HUGE catalog title i'm waiting for.

i dunno about anybody else, but i'm coming to realize i'm schizophrenic in my wants/buying habits/needs.
i should be completely satisfied with this edition, given my actual viewing habits.
i end up almost never watching all the extras on these things, and i usually proudly say that as long as the a/v is up to snuff (at least), i'm a happy popcorn muncher, but i still can't help salivating ( or planning to buy) when i hear the specs come out on a lavish, multi disc edition of a favorite film.
Even though i NEVER watch the damn stuff!?
still i'm sure i will pick this up and still think, wistfully, about the edition yet to come.

oh well.
its the collector mentality i guess.
in one of the early issues of American Splendor, Pekar has a funny story on the collectors mental process- worth tracking down.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
you guys should check out a Frontline special called The Merchants Of Cool.

its about the lengths that corporate America goes to market/pander/regurgitate to teens and how much the teens themselves influence what they get.

mostly teens come across as mindless fashion whores consuming what corporate America has co-opted from trendy big city teen sub-cultures.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
>

Oh man, do I take offense to this. Look, I'm a "young person", ok? As far as I can tell, all the young people I know (including myself) find most of the remakes today to be horrid beyond comprehension. Occasionally one or two people find the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or Halloween or whatever scary, but most of the time it's just stupid and insulting.

What you're rationalizing about Hollywood has nothing to do with what the youth market is asking for, it has to do with marketing. They market the living daylights out of the new Texas Chainsaw with Jessica Biel and spend about $15 million, they're basically guaranteed a return 3 times that amount on the first two weeks of release. The studio could care less if the majority of the audience didn't like the film, because it's understood that younger viewers will flock to a scary/gory movie on a weekend when there is nothing else to do.

Such is the case with all these remakes, that are no different conceptually than any of the sequels or ripoffs of the slasher genre that drained our patience through the 80's. It's another studio trend that will eventually wear out as remakes lose their opening weekend credibility with the unassuming masses. "Oh, it's another one of those stupid horror movies. Those are never good." I hear that all the time and it really saddens me that there are people on these boards that have bowed to the status quo and just decided to accept that's what people must want because that is what's made. Ugh.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
>

If they had used the same story, they would have had to pay Romero for content rights. In actuality, the film is a remake in concept (undead apocalypse) and title only. From what I hear, the mall scenes are just a small part and mostly intended as referential to the original. The point of remaking this film is to capitalize on the property rights. It has nothing to do with making a better film.

If you don't believe me, look up some articles on Richard Rubenstein. They ended up having to hire a first time director because more respected filmmakers wouldn't touch the script (James Gunn of Scooby Doo). Rogery Avary (Killing Zoe, Pulp Fiction, Rules of Attraction) also passed on the film, pointing out that the producers had no idea what they were doing.

If you want to see a big budget zombie movie that has at least *some* potential of not sucking the high horse, I recommend keeping your eye on what's going on with the Resident Evil sequel.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
>

As long as I've been tracking this project, the so-called "shocking" baby sequence has been the only item of note used as a selling point for the screenplay. This is probably as innovative as it's going to get. And that was sarcasm, btw.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Alright, I wasn't aware of all the backstory going on behind the remaking of this movie. I just found out today, here in this thread, looked at the trailer and thought, hey, looks neat. Combined with the fact that I liked the original (best out of the three, as a matter of fact), I thought they were onto something good. I never knew they screwed over Romero. I also wasn't aware that this movie was doomed from the start. Neither was I aware how big of a cult status the original had.

Guess I'm just not that informed.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was referring to quality issues BTW, HFTD is fun in it's own silly way but I wouldn't put it in the same league as DOTD....in other words turning Dawn into Humanoids is a detriment not an advance.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
By the way, perhaps we should take this conversation to Movies as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Just a thought.

..DAMN, look at that timing! JeremySt & I had the same thought at the same time!

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Good point, sorry about adding to the derailment. Anyway, it was so long ago that Anchor Bay put the old discs out of print for the "upcoming" set that I've forgotten how long ago it was. I think it was 1998 or 1999, which was what, 5 years ago? Geesh.

Anyone have any idea what the box set is going to carry? I know this release has the filmmaker commentary track (Romero, his wife Chris, Tom Savini), but what could the other features be? AB recorded a producer track with Rubenstein but it wasn't listed on this disc. They are also releasing "The Directors" episodes on recent sets (Wes Craven, Terry Gilliam, etc.) so it's a safe bet the box set will carry Romero's edition. Aside from those items and the alternate cuts (Cannes, European), what about documentaries?

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I don't think AB can use any of the Elite produced supplements because they don't own them. If I'm not mistaken, there were some on the special edition LD of Day of the Dead that were not licensed for the recent Divimax release.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If that is the case then it is a true shame. I was hoping for an Evil Dead type agreement between them, I guess I'll have to find someone with a dvd burner and.....well we won't talk about that.;)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
Somewhere between later summer and Halloween. They've pushed it back several times, so I wouldn't expect it sooner than September or October.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

Hmm, maybe there will be. I wish we knew something. Stupid waiting, blah! I'll say this... if they don't include the Zombie cut after we've waited this long and/or it turns out to be just 3 discs, I'm going to be VERY disappointed.

David Di

Grip
I cant beleive the remake. I mean have you seen how fast the zombies move? LOL. And they jump about to. What a load of hogwash. Who is directing this movie?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
David... lets stay on topic. :)

Im really glad they kept spirit of the original poster art for the new DVD cover. It would be really great if a future 3 or 4 disc edition utilized the same packaging as the LOTR: EE's.

I wonder if the new Diximax will alter the color at all. I've always been struck by how this movie has always had a pastel look to it. In every presentation Ive seen, people faces have an orange tint, and the blood seems to have a pink tint.

Is this first DVD going to be the theatrical cut?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks