What's new

Coupling Season 4 Ongoing thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just watched the first episode of the new season of COUPLING.

I thought it wasnt as great as some of the better episodes of past seasons (Naked is one of my FAVOURITES). Though they did have some good stuff with Steve on the phone with 'jeff' i really enjoyed, I am really going to miss seeing Jeff on the show. Oliver, the new character hasn't been as funny as Jeff, though had his moments.

What did you guys think?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Jeff will be nmissed, Oliver is just a different kind of funny. I loved the episode and it is great to see that Coupling has not lost any of its steam.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not bad for an opening episode. I'm not sure if I'll like Oliver, we'll see.

Need more rescuing by Susan.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
How did you catch it, Patrick? Are you able to get BBC3 on your satellite provider?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's good to have Coupling back :D, but I do miss Jeff. I wish his absence would've been explained in more detail, but oh well. Oliver was okay, but this was just his first episode. I could go for a little more rescuing as well. :D

Kelly W

Second Unit
Well, I got "resourceful" and watched the episode last night.

I was pleasantly surprised. I expected this season to be a total bust without Jeff, but it still felt like one of the old Couplings. The jury is still out on Oliver, but I think he'll be an okay addition to the cast.

I wasn't a HUGE fan of series three (although I need to watch them again-- when's that DVD come out?), but I'm glad to see there's still life in the show.

-Kelly

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't know when they'll phase out Jeff completely, but Steve's phone calls to Jeff got plenty of laughs out of me.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Any word when BBC America will show it? I am only caught up through Season 3 episode 2. I might have to pick up the DVDs. Do the discs have any extras worth noting?

Too bad the US version sucked. I think with different casting and less reliance on redoing the BBC episodes it mighthave been a winner. They could have renamed it Friends too. :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It sucked when they tried to copy the BBC version, but the last episode they aired was original and hilarious. Figures, it starts to show potential and it gets cancelled.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Good episode. I'm missing Jeff though. He was the show. He's what makes Coupling Coupling. Aside from him, you've just got a bunch of people sleeping together. What's going on with him though? Are they just gonna sweep him aside and say Jeff's travelling for the rest of the series?

Damn, I'm gonna miss him. Not sure about this Oliver guy. He was pretty funny but I just can't see him being a part of the group dynamic that's already lasted for three series. He also kinda looks like Jeff too. Just weird.

Oh, and what happened to Jane's boyfriend from series 3?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Maybe we should stick all the coupling Series 4 commentary into one thread? Well, i'll let the mods decide...

Very, Very good episode i thought.

Some favourite lines (paraphrased):
Oliver: because the bosoms are the only erogenous zone that'll stare back!
Steve: Jane, this isn't an american sitcom, you can't just walk into somebody's home as you please! :laugh:

very funny and very clever dialogue on the 4-way. Loved their reactions when we realize jane is actually in patrick's apartment (we'll probably see why she was there in the next few episodes i hope).

Oliver's coming in fine, good to know he's not just plopped into the show, but gradually worked in.

On a sidenote, has anybody seen the 'unaired' episode of the US version of coupling? I believe its episode 7. Its quite good (and 'original', not adapted from the UK version), i suggest you guys check it out (the method i used is prolly not suitable for the forum, PM me if ya need help finding it)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
- "I can't believe I am with a man with a pregnancy fetish!"
- "I can't believe I am with a woman who suddenly wants a baby!"
- "How is it ever going to work?"

Very funny again! I loved the phone call.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Yeah, another good episode. Still wish Jeff was around-- I don't think there's any way I'll laugh as much at whatever Oliver has to say. But I guess we'll have to get over that. :frowning:

I also did watch the unaired 7th episode of the US Coupling. While it was many times better than the ones with the recycled BBC scripts, I don't think I would have made time to watch more episodes after that one. I really don't/didn't like the cast and their acting styles at all.

-Kelly

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode started slow, but the last 20+ minutes were very entertaining.

How many phones does Patrick have in his apartment?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Good episode. Funny stuff. It had me laughing from Steve's dream at the beginning. Jeff's sickly perverted humor is missed though.

I guess this episode sets up Olver's entry into the gang, but for this one, he just seemed to wait around. He has a scene in his comic shop which had nothing to do with the storyline other than a weak and way too coincidental connection to Susan. He just distracted from the main story and stole screentime from the main gang. Oh well.

The last shot did feel like it suggested that the Patrick-Jane thing has more to play in future episodes. Kinda like a mini cliffhanger. Of course, I could just be wrong and the whole thing will just be avoided. :D

I did manage to check out that unaired 7th episode from Coupling USA. While it's not bad, I still can't get over how bad the cast was. I'm just disappointed the UK show doesn't have the following in America it deserves and that the US version may have hurt the UK show's chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks