What's new

Counting Crows... (1 Viewer)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I have copy of August which I enjoy but never picked up anything beyond that. Would you recommend Hard Candy or would following the chronological order be a better way to go?

Thanks.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I'd go with Hard Candy. It is my current favorite followed by Recovering The Satellites. I never really liked This Desert Life though, not sure why.

I loved August And Everything After when it was current but I can barely listen to it now because I played it about a million times back then.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If I had to rank them it would be as such...

1) August and Everything After
2a) Recovering the Satellights
2b) Hard Candy
3) Live on a wire
and...

A distant 4th: This Desert Life.

I think Recovering and Candy are close, but I give the nod to Recovering. All this is my opinion of course.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Crows albums seem to run in opposite pairs - August is relaxed and acoustic and Recovering the Satellites is upfront and loud. This Desert Life is again really relaxed but its rough around the edges with all the experimenting going on inside it. Hard Candy gets back to the formula of crafting short gem-like pop songs.
What does all this boild down to? - I say you should stay in order...if you only have August right now next you should get Recovering, followed by the live album, then This Desert Life, then Hard Candy.
Jason (Whose a HUGE Crows fan (see Sig) but cant figure out why everyones so down on This Desert Life)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Recovering the Satellites is the album that got me into Counting Crows.. and to be honest, none of their other stuff ever hit me the same way. It's their best album IMO, their most cathartic and emotional work, and one of my favorite albums from the last several years.

This coming from a guy who couldn't stand 'Mr. Jones' and has shrugged off their last two radio singles. Recovering is a phenomenal listen, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

~j

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I really like This Desert Life. Mrs Potter's Lullaby is my favorite Counting Crows song.
I can put on This Desert Life, listen the whole way through, and not come across any songs I would consider "weak."
My favorite group is Dave Matthews Band, and I can't name one their albums about which I could say the same thing.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Anna Begins is my favorite Crows song, and one of my favorite songs, period. I also dig Highlife, Raining in Baltimore, and especially Goodnight L.A. among the slower stuff. I'm also a huge Crows fan since the beginning and I love This Desert Life.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
*nod* Anna Begins is simply phenomenal. The emotion through both music and lyrics is awesome. The live version they do on the Across a Wire set (VH1 Storytellers) just completely kicks ass.

Scott.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I think 'This Desert Life' is their best album, though I don't have the time right now to back that up. :^)

Really though, they are all great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks