What's new

Could thin vertical off-colored lines be color purity problem?? (1 Viewer)

JasonRH

Second Unit
I have the Wega XBR-450 and both sides of the set show thin vertical stripes of off colored lines i.e. they show up as greenish on a white background. There is a region of these for a few inches in from the edge of the right hand side of the screen running the full vertical height. Moving images with a light background shows this best. The area looks as if it is a different color/brightness than the rest of the screen.
I've read about color purity problems before but I thought they were blotches or areas of discoloration but not so distinct as being perfectly straight discolored thin lines. Anyone have any idea what this is?? Any help would be greatly appreciated since my exchange/return period is coming to an end. Thanks a lot.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
My gut feeling based on what you describe, is that you should return or exhange the set.
If you slid the picture from side to side (horizontal position) or modified the overscan (horizontal size) do the lines move? If not I would suspect a picture tube defect.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

JasonRH

Second Unit
Allan,
Thanks for the reply. I'll move the image a bit and see if the lines move. If it was a color purity problem, wouldn't moving the horizontal picture make no difference anyway? Isn't the problem in that region of the tube itself and not just in relation to the picture location?

JasonRH

Second Unit
Update: I just moved the picture left and right, horizontally , and the "lines" remained fixed in place. Any ideas?

Nicole P

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Jason,
I am about to buy a Wega for the first time and consequently, have been haunting the Yahoo Sony Wega user group for a while.
The problem that you are experiencing is apparently wide-spread. Some people encounter pink bands rather than green bands.
Here is one post that seems to offer a ray of hope.
Cheers,
Nicole P
------------------

"So where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within."

Britton

Screenwriter
That post you linked is about the best news I've read. I have problems with pink bands on the sides. I have a feeling I'll be making a call to a service center to see if this can be fixed. The most significant thing is there's hope.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Nicole,
Thanks a lot for the reply. That is, indeed, encouraging. I have seen posts regarding problems with pink banding but I thought that was specific to component video inputs. I have also never heard anyone mention green lines but still the news is good. Thanks a lot.
Let us know how your set is when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks