What's new

Coppola "would like to make a film about Simon Bolivar"... When he's ready to retire (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
This is a translation from the Spanish article I just read on Terra:
"Bogotá, Sept. 24- American filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola admitted today that he would like to make a film about Simón Bolívar, which could be based ona novel by Colombian author Gabriel García Márquez.
'I'd like to do a film on Bolívar with García Márquez's help', said the filmmaker on a phone interview with Radio Cadena Nacional's 'La FM´ radio station.
According to Coppola, for this work on the Latin American independence hero, he would rely on the Colombian writer's novel The General in his Labyrinth
. 'These are my plans for when I'm old. I want it to be my final film', said the award-winning director.
Coppola, who was the subject of an homage at the recently concluded San Sebastián Film Festival, also said that he is not interested in making a film about The Borgias based on the book of the same name by his countryman Mario Puzo -author of The Godfather, but rather with a self-penned script.
'In the film I'm writing, and plan to make, I want to show the beauty of the world, and how we're capable of making a better world... A better future for all', said the director.
Coppola regretted having rejected an invitation to preside the Jury at the Cartagena de Indias International Film Festival, received from the Colombian Culture Ministry, though he admitted there's a possibility he'll visit the country 'to meet Colombian artists and intellectuals'.
He added that he'll be in Colombia soon, to visit 'a person I admire greatly and whom I consider a friend: Gabriel García Márquez.'
As a Venezuelan, the possibility of a Coppola-helmed film about Bolívar excites me to no end :D, even if it won't be for quite a few years yet. A proper retelling of Bolívar's life, and his campaign to win independence from Spain would put "Braveheart" and its ilk to shame.
As much as I'd love for a big-budget epic on Bolívar to use venezuelan and Colombian talent, I doubt Coppola and his backing studio would go for it, so using mostly American talent, I'd cast:
Harrison Ford as Bolívar. This would pose a problem when showing Bolívar as a young man, but I can picture Harrison reciting Bolívar's speeches and... Whoa. Let's not even talk about his dying moments, or I'll get misty-eyed.
Ahh, the possibilities... Aitana Sánchez-Gijón as Manuela Sáenz, Kevin Spacey as José Antonio Páez, León as Pedro Camejo, Shane West as Atanasio Girardot... I'd love to have Ewan McGregor as Antonio José De Sucre, if he could do a Spanish accent convincingly :D
The Battle of Carabobo alone would be worth the price of admission :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Having worked and lived in Caracas, on and off during the early 90s, I too would like to see a ‘reasonably’ accurate film made of “The Liberator”. But I must quibble with Harrison Ford. If I recall correctly (and I am indeed ready to be corrected), Boliver was physically a very small man. It was is inner courage and presence that inspired his compatriots and brought about success. I’d like to see a portrayal that concentrated on the inner man. Nothing against Harrison, but he is so identified as a man pf physical action, that I’m not sure North American audiences would be able to see past Ford’s on-screen persona.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo, has the Márquez book been translated into English? I’m ashamed to say that I’m not up to reading literary works in Español.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Lew, the book is indeed available in English :)
And I know what you mean about Ford. But that voice... :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ricardo. I’m really surprised at the lack of interest in this topic. It must sadly say something about North American’s and European’s interest in or knowledge of South America. I can’t imagine that if a major director were going to make an ‘end of career’ movie about Washington or Napoleon (and especially if they had been cinematically ignored previously) that there would not be a great deal of debate and discussion.

Oh well.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ricardo. I’m really surprised at the lack of interest in this topic.
I'm interested in the project, and I'm reading your posts with interest. Coppola is one of my favorite directors. The subject matter is fascinating. Everything about it screams "Opening day" to me. Other than that, I don't know what to say. I've learned with The Man Who Killed Don Quixote that it's a very bad idea for me to get too excited about a film that isn't in the can already (wait...thinks of Brazil and how it sat on the shelf for so long) or that's starting as I'm actually sitting in the theater.
I hope it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks