What's new

Cooling fan with termostat (1 Viewer)

Dave Malo

Agent
I currently have a 12v fan in my cabinet to extract air out of my HT cabinet. The problem I have is the fan is constantly running. I saw on some posts where indivudals have install a termostat. I would like to do this also but needs some help. If possible a step by step instructions or even a picture to help me with this. Anyone with knowkedge on how to do this would be greatly apprciated as the fan is drving my wife nuts.

thanks

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
One easy cheap thermostat is available from any home depot. It is used for attic ceiling exhast fans. It is 120V and adjustable. You can wire the 12V fan after the thermostat, and mount the thermostat where you think it would be the hottest in the cabinet.

It is:
Master Flow Model PT6

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876&pos=t06

(man...that's a long link!)

I did this to exhaust my A/V closet using an in-line 6" duct fan built into a sort of hush box. The thermostat worked great, but the fan had no effect on cooling at all. I ended up simply venting the top of the closet to an adjacent room and letting convection (if that is the correct term - heat rising) do the work. It was more effective by a whopping 2 degrees.

Best of luck.

Thomas J. Coyle III

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dave,

I built a Vellemen Thermostat min-kit and modified it slightly to control the two 120mm brushless dc fans that cool my Outlaw 7100 power amp. Unless you are handy with a soldering iron and are mechanically inclined, I do not recommend this route. However, I have found several 80mm 12vdc fans that have an attached thermal sensor and vary the fan speed depending on the temperature. They do not completely turn off, however you could hook your 12vdc fan supply to one of your amps ac switched accessory sockets so it would only come on when the amp was powered up. Hope this helps.
Regards,
TCIII

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
The computer industry has these fans available in various sizes/speeds. I use fans from www.silenx.com in my computer. They're practially inaudible, and come with a thermistor attached.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Dumb question. If installing one of these in the back of a cabinet, should it blow air in or extract air out?

N

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I'd install it near the top of the back of the cabinet, and have it extract air out. Make sure there's some space behind the cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks