What's new
World Wide Stereo

Connecting sub (1 Viewer)

David Lindon

Agent
If the amp doesn't have a dedicated sub output, can I use a tape RC out or a phono out to the line in connections on the sub itself and let the sub control the roll off limit?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You could use the tape out as a last resort. Don't use the Phono.

Does your Sub have High level inputs? That is Speaker level Right and left inputs and outputs? That would be a better way to go if your sub is equiped with high level inputs. If so just connect the FRONT left and right speaker outs to the left and right speaker ins and connect your Speakers to the outs.

Tape will work but be sure to use the Right or left line level input (NOT the LFE input) That will allow you to use the subs Build in Crossover. (if it has that)

Luna5

Agent
Real Name
Bob Buettner

If you use tape out to the sub you won't have any volume control for the sub. Unless you have pre out connections on your receiver any low level output you use will have a fixed output level and will not control the volume of the sub. If that's the case the only input on the sub to use would be the high level ( speaker) inputs on the sub.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

That's way I said it's a last resort at best!... not recommended by any means.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes your Preouts should be antenuated(sp) by the volume control..

If you list your Receiver model# and Sub Model# we can give you your best solutions

David Lindon

Agent
OK the sub has a high level input but I was just wondering if I would be able to get away with the some phono cables.

What is the advantage of conencting with high level inputs?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If you don't have a Subwoofer Output on your Receiver there is no way to balance the subwoofer DB's to your Speaker level without running the Fronts through the Sub.

If you would go the Tape out route the sub will always be receiving the same input db's, thus when listening at lower volumes the sub will not be at the same consistant level as your front and surround speakers and your sub will not increase or decrease with the amps volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks