What's new

Connecting my HD Projector (1 Viewer)

MitsubishiGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Hey folks,

First time on this forum! I couldn't find the exact right thread for this post, but here goes:

I have a Mitsubishi HD projector with HDMI, S Video, Video and Component connections. My question is; seeing as my projector has no speakers on it, how do i connect sound to my projector.

I want to connect my HD comcast box to my projector along with my Xbox 360 AND my HT Receiver which i have 2 floor speakers and a 15'' subwoofer wired too. I bought a component switch but not sure if that is what I need.

What is the easiest way to wire everything centerally? I'd like to use my receiver for the sound, but be able to simple switch between my Xbox and Comcast on my projector while still using my receiver for both sound sources. Is that possible???

Sorry if I've confused anyone. thanks for the help in advance!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes. Just run video from each one, to the projector, and audio from each one, to the receiver. Connecting that way, you'll need to change the input on the projector (by remote) AND receiver, when switching from one to the other.

Or, if you have the inputs on your receiver, run video and audio from each one, to the receiver. Then run a video cable out from receiver (monitor out), to the projector. That way, you'll just need to push the button on the receiver's remote, to switch from one to the other.
Good luck!

MitsubishiGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
my receiver doesn't decode HD signals though. I think it has a monitor out but its an older receiver which pretty much just supports audio functions. I'm connecting nothing but HD to and from this projector but it only has 1 component set connection. So if i wire the projector to a switch, and the comcast and 360 to the switch, will i be able to run audio from the receiver to the switch alone and it will recognize the channels?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If the switch is set to the Comcast position, the projector should show whatever channel the box is on. And for the 360, the projector should show the video for whatever game or movie is in it.

You never said what receiver you have. If it has two sets of component inputs, you can use them (I'm pretty sure). The receiver doesn't have to be able to process video, to send video through it. I'm pretty sure the video is just pass through, in a receiver, to make it easy switching between sources. Component cables carry an HD signal just fine. Just curious.......why would you try to send audio to the component switch? The audio goes to the receiver, and played through the speakers. In a home theater setup, you don't use the tv (projector) for any audio. Only video. Most older receivers have two or three component inputs, and one component output.

MitsubishiGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
My receiver has ZERO component inputs, (only yellow, red, white, and speaker terminals) nor any HDMI or DVI inputs.

I guess what the Red, White and Yellow connections are is composite, right? I have a Pioneer VSX-D409 receiver. Puts power to my speakers pretty well, but no component connections. That is why I thought buying a component switch is what i need.

MitsubishiGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Here is what I'm thinking I need to do.

I have a component switch with 3 Component inputs with 3 audio inputs, and 1 component output with 1 audio output.

I will wire my RGB from my 360 and Comcast to this switch, and wire the Audio wires from the 360 and Comcast to my receiver. I will then only need to connect the Component (RGB) from the output on my switch to the projector. From here I will just have to switch between the 2 audio channels on my receiver, and the 2 video sources on my switch to get the right output on my projector.

Does this make sense? Will this bypass the need of a VIDEO (not just audio) receiver?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It sounds like that will work. Have never done anything like that myself, so all I can say is try it. You won't hurt anything trying it.

I found your receiver on Pioneer's site. It looks like a nice one. It's hard to believe that Pioneer would make a Dolby Digital receiver, without any component inputs and output on it. That seems kinda ridiculous to me. Oh well. Maybe they learned a lesson with it...........
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks