Connecting a new system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Elliott, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Kirk Elliott

Kirk Elliott Extra

Will it make a difference in picture quality if I use an audio video cable (which has a video cable as well as L & R audio cables) as a component video cable? While I think the answer is no, as I believe all of the cables have the same transfer properties, I thought I'd ask for someone elses learned opinion.

Thank You

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

No, a red-white-yellow A/V cable isnt a swap for a Component hook-up. Component video standard calls for 3 75ohm RCA cables. The yellow will be 75 ohm, but the red/white audio in all likelihood are 50ohm, thus incompatible.

You cud take 3 yellow RCA video cables and use them, tho.

Moreover, a dedicated component cable is likely to be constructed more hefty with adequate shielding, and dialectric material around the conductor, than a generic A/V cable. Something like the AR PRO Series wud be fine.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It will work, of course, but it may introduce minor anomolies into the picture.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Radio Shack bundle of Left/Right/Video was at one time all 3 constructed with 75 ohm coax. So it could be used as a component cable. But someone told me that the current product is not all 75 ohms.
    If you are looking for budget cables, the AR brand from Best Buy has a lot of fans. It usually falls within the "10% rule" of your TV price so you are not getting ripped off.
    I usually recommend AR or even Radio Shack cables for modest systems. If your system becomes 'sensitive', then a better quality cable should be used.
    By 'sensitive' I mean any of the following:
    - Display Size greater than about 40"
    - Display is a HDTV that will up-convert the signal
    - Running Progressive or HD video
    - Long run of cable
    When you reach this stage, we usually recommend the custom-cable web sites that will use industry-grade coax and connectors and save you lots of $$$ compared to store brands.
    Some sites to price shop are:
    www.bettercables.com
    www.catcables.com
    www.wickedcables.com
    www.heartlandcables.com
    www.bluejeanscables.com
    www.ebay.com (search for 'Canare')
    www.cobaltcables.com
    Remember that the high-end of the Monster line, the cv-300 component cable set sells for about $210 right now. All of the above sites will beat that price and give you a cable that could be considered superior to the Monster offering.
    The "Tweeks, Connections,.." fourm has lots of this type of discussion if you are interested in learning more.
    Hope this helps.

5. Peter DuDeck

Peter DuDeck Auditioning

I've read that component video still can't produce as much bandwidth as S-video (at least that's what Faroudja's product documentation says). Their processing chips have more information in a good s-video link than the RGB signal that component. Maybe their chip is just optimized that way, but would find that hard to believe.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

7. Kirk Elliott

Kirk Elliott Extra

Thanks to all for your assistance. I now better understand cables,especially for big TV's...I'm getting Mitsubishi's new WS-65711.

Bob, your explanations and links were invaluable.

Once again, Many Thankks to all.

Cheers,

Kirk