What's new

Concrete Patio (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I am tearing out the wood deck and replacing it with a lower maintenance cement patio. It will be the exact same demensions 12x16. Obviously, it won't be as high up as the deck but will be a foot off the ground. I've had several contractors give me estimates.

The contractor I like (work within my budget/friendly/honest) will be coming over and will be bringing the proposal and then it will be time to sign the papers. He will be putting in a floating patio. It will not be attached to the house.

Any questions that you can think of to ask when he comes back for a final Q&A session before signing the papers?

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
I did the same thing about two years ago. I also had the cement colored so that it wouldn't look like a plain concrete slab. I really like my patio. It's made the back of my house much more functional and useful.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Thanks Armando. Did it cost extra to have it colored?

Also, the contractor wanted to use a brushed look at the end so it gives it some texture instead of totally smooth. I think he takes a broom over it at the end to give it that look.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Issues that should be resolved before signing:

Building Permit - Will the contractor be pulling the permit, or is he assuming you already have one?

Deck Disposal - Make sure the estimate includes the disposal of the current wooden deck, or make other arrangements.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
You bring up some good points Brian, thanks.

I do have to provide the Building Permit. I have to go to the local township office and get the engineer out to approve the project. The BP will be good for up to 60 or 90 days. It will cost me somewhere between 50 & 60 bucks.

He (contractor) is charging me $400 dollars more to tear down and remove the treated wooden deck remnants. So yes it is figured into the price of the project. I was going to do it myself but I don't want the hassle. The deck is only 5+ years old.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

That's probably for safety more than anything. Smooth cement when wet is extremely slippery.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I had a concrete patio poured a couple years back in my front yard along with some steps and mowstrip. The patio measured roughly 535 sf.

In my neck of the CA woods, no permit is required as there in no structural value associated with a concrete slab patio. So, you may not need one, but check to be sure.

Some other questions you may want to consider;

1. Is he putting down a layer of road base first? Usually a 3/4" gravel mix with fines several inches thick.

2. What about wire mesh, or fiberglass mesh?

3. What about visqueen, to avoid moisture coming up through the slab?

I'll post a pic of my patio tomorrow now that it is complete. I put in a gas fire pit, slump block walls with white picket fencing, park benches and redid the entire landscaping. Everything I did myself, less the concrete slab.

...and yes, have him broom the surface, wet concrete is very, very slippery.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Michael,

Yes, the color did cost extra. However, I didn't want the patio to look like it was just a plain concrete slab. I'll try to post a pic later. And definitely get it brush-textured. As already mentioned, un-textured concrete can be ice rink slick when it gets wet. Run into your garage with wet feet or shoes and you'll see what we're talking about. ;)

Another thing, make sure to talk to your contractor about properly grading the patio so that water will run away from the foundation.

As Ron-P also mentioned, make sure that the contractor uses mesh and/or rebar. Otherwise, your looking at premature cracking of the slab as it contracts and expands.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
When my family had a pool installed, the deck installers did a really cool non-skid surface on the concrete. After the concrete was smooth, they covered it with rock salt and pressed the salt just into the surface of the deck. When the concrete dried, they hosed it down, which dissolved the rock salt. This left little hollows in the surface of the concrete, making it non-skid and also much cooler to the touch. It was as good as some of the synthetic deck material at about 1/10th the cost.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Thanks to everyone for the GREAT suggestions/ideas/questions for the contractor. He's coming over tonight. I have some good questions for him thanks to all of you.

I know when he was here before he talked about putting stone down first, then tamping it down, then putting some concrete on top of that, then some rebar, and then some more concrete on top of that.

There will be some concrete steps (probably two) leading down to the patio. As it stands right now the deck is level with the house. Some people have their patios level with the ground or slightly higher. I want it to be a foot off the ground.

I will be talking with the contractor tonight to see if I am in charge of getting the Building Permit or if he does. I think it's my responsibility.

Thanks again everyone... this has been very helpful!

E

Eric Kahn

You want crushed stone as a base, do not let them use Bank wash (round smooth stones) it does not compact

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Michael, it sounds like it's going to turn out to be a great project. You seem to have covered your bases quite well.

I expect to see pictures! :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes Michael, when it's done post some pics.

As promised, here's a couple shots I took late yesterday of my recently finished front patio. Everything was done by myself less the concrete flat work.

I could not get then entire patio in the one shot. To the left of this pic is the front gate with steps leading down to the sidewalk. Over by the park benches is a 36" gas fire pit.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Very nice Ron-P! I will take some before and after pictures and post em' here.

I was very confident in talking with the contractor last night as I signed the papers due to all of these WONDERFUL suggestions. It turned out that I didn't need a Building Permit because I'm not using footers and don't have to mess with the original construction. My contractor called the Local Township and they said it wasn't needed.

:)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
wasn't sure if you wanted to run a gas line, electrical line or anything like that under the concrete. just another thing to consider. maybe for the future bbq island or low-voltage lighting, etc. :)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I have a water garden/pond in the yard (right off the deck) which is another reason I wanted the patio. Then you can sit right beside the running water and watch the fish as you eat. Right now the railing is in the way.

I already addressed that with the contractor. He said that he would put it in a protective liner/thingy. He said that he didn't want to drill anymore holes into the house (to relocate it). The wire runs downstairs into the basement to the fuse box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks