What's new

Help Finding Landscape/ Pool Design Ideas (1 Viewer)

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I've tried googling, but I must not be using the right combination of words for my search.

I'm putting in an inground pool. The shell of the pool is in, and we're now waiting for the weather to warm up so that the concrete patio can be poured, then it's plaster time for the pool.

Here's my question: I'm trying to find ideas for landscaping and decorating the pool house. We're going with a tiki/polynesian theme. Does anyone know of websites or other sources with photos that I can use for ideas?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jay. I was thinking about the Polynesian @ WDW, but I hadn't been able to find any pictures before.

Anyone else?

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
You must be my alter-ego. The wifey & I went down the exact same road as you 12 months ago. We were finally plastered in May (more ways than one) and last summer was a glorious tiki-themed poolside summer!

I could write pages, but time is limited right now so let me begin with music ... start off with a couple of CD's from Brudda IZ. You can start listening immediately. Make sure to run some outside speakers ... preferably the rock style.

Next ... you'll need torches. Dont get the cheapo $6 torches from the local Kmart or Target, they'll barely last one summer in the heat. Instead get some decent ones and be sure to use fiberglass wicks. Here's a suggested site.

I built a sand garden ... you know, white sand with a rock background. Then you can stick one of these in it. I also went to a local landscape supply and bought several lavarocks (basketball sized) to place around the gardens.

For polynesian/tiki decor & ideas, I've listed a few of my favorite sites below.

www.aisletiki.com
www.tikimaster.com
tiki Forums

And my personal inspiration --> www.pariarts.com
Now ... start planning for that big tiki party ... and sure ... we'd love to come ;)
Consider that the week of 20-July is typically peak summer heat in our region. You'll want this for an evening tiki party (skimpy attire for the girls). Also late July will give your plantings some time to mature in season 1. For sure, you're going to be busy in May & June.

PS ... dont forget the double barrelled margarita machine One of my recent christmas gifts.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that Tiki Forum site is very cool-- it's exactly what I was looking for. Scott, do you know of any local (Philly/ South Jersey) places that sell carved tikis? I'd like to get one or two really tall ones, so shipping is not practical.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Dont rule out shipping ... This 6' tiki pole can be had for $235 delivered. (4 day shipping is $45).

I can't speak for Philly, but I frequent the DE beaches in warmer months and there are several specialty shops that carry ample tiki supplies and decor.

I'll keep my eyes peeled in the coming months, but I'm already thinking of adding the below dude (30" tall) as the focus of my sand garden for Summer '06.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks