Installing an outside lamp post on patio ??'s

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Neil Joseph, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am getting the patio done at the front of my house in a couple of months and am going to put up a lamp post at the same time. I have currently done all of the inside wiring, and have installed the conduit to get the wire outside the house so that it can be buried under the lawn and run to the area of the lamp.

I know that I will need 12" sonotube (which I have) and that it needs to be filled with concrete. What tricks are there as far as erecting the lamp post in the concrete, and to make sure that it is straight and stays straight? BTW, I am planning to being the conduit and wire all the way up the sonotube until it is above ground so that the wire (outdoor variety) is fully protected.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

from all the diy shows i've seen, there's a few things they always seem to do in common.

1. dig a really deep hole ... this is critical. too shallow and the concrete won't be deep enough to stay put.

2. i don't remember ... but sometimes i see them put rocks at the very bottom (for drainage?)

3. usually what i see them do is use two stakes and a couple of 2x4's. they'll attach the 2x4's to the post at right angles to each-other (not sure how to do this with a metal post [​IMG] ), then screw the other end into the stakes. this will help keep the post plumb until the concrete dries.

4. as far as the wire goes, i think you're supposed to run it in a conduit ... which it sounds like you're doing.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I just talked to a few people. They say that if you pore the concrete in the sonotube (it should be thin/runny enough), it will naturally settle at a level point. They said to wait until the base is absolutely rock solid then place the lampost and drill the mounting holes into the concrete base and then mount it with special bolts that expand when tighthened.

How deep should I have to go with the base? Is 3ft enough?

4. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I think 3 ft is a bit much-its not supporting any real weight. I went down maybe a foot with mine ( a rather large 3-lamped post). It came with all the hardware- and just pre-drilled and anchored the post in. Just make sure you use a strong mix of cement so it doesn't break up when you drill. good luck
    Tim

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Neal, you don't say where you live. If it's in a freezing climate you may need to go deeper with the cement or the freezing may cause the lamp to shift. I went about two feet.

As far as attaching the pole to the cement, when I installed I put the pole into the cement, but to allow the pole to be replaced I used a collar. The actual pole just slides into the collar and can be removed later.

If you go the flush attachment route, a trick an old builder neighbor showed me it to place the anchor into the wet cement. That way you don't have to drill and the anchor has a guaranteed good fit. I've done this for door thresholds and it works well.

One thing I didn't do is use cement for the length of the wire run. I just used outdoor wire and the tubing. Anyone know if cement is the standard code everywhere?