What's new

Concerned for local SPCA celebrity (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Our local SPCA broadcasts a weekly cable TV show that showcases the many animals they have up for adoption at their shelter. The show is very popular, and is hosted by a very likeable young woman, Amanda Muir.

Even though I have never met her in person (other than seeing her in the office once) Amanda is one of very few people I can without reservation say I truly admire. She is the SPCA spokesperson, and obviously loves her work taking care of, and finding new homes for the animals in her care. Her compassion for the animals is always evident.

I had just finished watching their latest show, when a half hour later I was surfing past the news and saw her image in the corner. The details are still sketchy, but she had picked up an engineering company's injured guard dog (a Rottweiler), and was taking it to the animal hospital when the dog turned on her, sunk its teeth in her arm, breaking it above the wrist. While other people tried to help her, the dog attacked again, this time her other arm. She is currently recovering in hospital where she is undergoing multiple surgeries for fractures in both arms plus extensive tissue damage.

To compound matters, they (understandably) put the dog down, which knowing her affinity for animals (and confirmed by newspaper reports) she is very upset by.

I hope Amanda makes a full and speedy recovery, and that this tragic incident will not stop her from returning to her job. She seems like a very selfless individual, always putting the animals first, and asking that instead of flowers people donate to one of the SPCA's fundraisers, which help animals get the surgery they need.

There is no way I could do the job the folks at the SPCA do, as I very easily get emotionally attached to animals, but I am thankful there are people out there who can take care of these creatures, and save them from those who don't deserve to own them.

Best wishes, Amanda, we need you back!

Here is a link to the story .

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
We could use more people like Amanda in the U.S. As proof of her selflessness, we need only point to how upset she was when the dog who attacked her was executed. Thanks for posting, Jeff.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree Jack. According to further reports, she also had the presence of mind to restrain the dog after it had already broken her arm, trying to make sure no one else was attacked (the dog apparently just stood there as if nothing had happened and was wagging its tail). Also, while her face is familiar to many from the TV show, it wasn't until the news item that I learned her name, since the show's focus is on trying to find homes for the animals at the shelter, encourage volunteering or donations for the surgery many of these animals require.

She has donated her time for the past five years hosting this show, and I hope she is able to return to work as soon as her strength is back. Being mauled by a dog is not something most people would be able to just brush aside, especially when their job puts them in contact with dozens of animals who can behave unpredictably due to the stress they are under.

I haven't heard any more on her condition.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As an update, I called the SPCA today to see how Amanda was doing, and while she is still undergoing surgeries for her injuries (2 broken bones in each arm), there is apparently no permanent damage, which is extremely lucky given the circumstances, and potential nerve problems. It will still probably be months before she is able to return to work, but it sounds like she will fully recover. There has been a great deal of support from the community, which is also nice. Hang in there girl!

:emoji_thumbsup:

StephenA

Screenwriter
Hope she recovers fully. Since it's her job working with animals, I doubt it would scare her off from doing it after she heals, because she probably knows that this stuff can and will happen from time to time. It certainly wouldn't with me. It's also understandable in a way why the dog attacked, due to it being injured.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks