What's new

Concerned about distortion... (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I just borrowed a CD from a friend, and started listening to it (reasonable volume). At the climax of the first track I listened to, I heard an awful lot of distortion coming through my speakers. This isn't the first time this has happened, although the level of distortion this time was huge. I don't know what's going on, but it's beginning to royally piss me off. I got less distortion with a H/K AVR225 with Take 2.2s than I am now with this Rotel 1075 and Veritas 2.1s. Granted the sound is much better (when it's not distorting!), but I'm at a total loss for why I'm getting all this distortion all of a sudden. Could I really be clipping my speakers? Sometimes I even get distortion, or funny squirrely noises when it's at a low level. I'm doing my best to keep things reasonable, and I don't crank the system too much, but at this point, I'm really worried I might damage something if it isn't damaged already (and I don't know about it).

Suggestions please...I'm very concerned for the well-being of my system which I've invested a lot of money (for me anyways) in.

Thanks.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
C'mon guys, sure someone must have an idea of what could be causing all this distortion. I really want to stop worrying about it and just go back to enjoying my music.

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
What type of distortion did you hear. What did it sound like did you press yoru ears agaisnt the speaker and what did you hear. Why would you frwak out if you damaged yoru speakers did you really crank it up so high to approximatley 80-90 percent of the receiver volume. DO you have your speakers set to small and crossover at about 80..

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I didn't crank it at all, I just don't know why it would distort like that. The distortion I'm hearing is crackling. I drive them full range with sub off. This is more than acceptable for music with these speakers. And what's wierd is that it's only with certain music that I get this distortion. I can play a good CD at a good volume cleanly, then pop in another one, play it at a much lower volume, and have it distort. I'm very confused.

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
Are you using a digital or anlog signal from the CD player? If you are using the anlog outs your CD player outs might be clipping the pre-amp/processor/receiver inputs.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'm using digital coax from my DVD player and fibre from my CD player. Both have these same distortion issues. I also connected my speakers to my receiver directly (not to the power amp like they usually are)...same problem. I'll fool around with a few different things today when I have more time.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Maybe your better equipment is revealing the flaws in the poorly recorded/mixed/mastered CDs.

I've been auditioning speakers, and have been shocked to find that CDs which I thought sounded pretty good on my current system don't sound so great through a better amp and speakers in the store.

I know it's the particular CD, because others sound great, and, when I hear distortion or clipping, I can narrow it down to a particular instrument or sound effect on the CD.

Doug

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The fact that this crackling distortion occurs with only certain types of program material suggests that the problem exists when the source contains certain types of frequencies. Earlier someone asked if you're running the speakers small or large. If the latter, switch to small and see if the problems go away. Also, fwiw, just check and remake all your speaker wire connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks