What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Computer keeps restarting by itself (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I just finished building a second pc from bits & pieces. Basically the main computer that I used to have that started restarting windows while you were in the middle of doing something. I took the dvd, cd, backup hdd, diskette drive, modem out of the old pc and got a case, power supply, video card and main hdd to make the new system.

I replaced the cmos battery, case fan, power supply, and added a new diskette drive, cd, hdd to complete the old system. I go to load the operating system onto the hdd and the computer keeps resetting/restarting in the middle of the windows xp install. Before the winxp install the system would not restart (ie in dos).

What is the deal here? Where should I start?

The components in the system are as follows...

- intel pentium 933
- motherboard?? was in ibm netvista
- 2x128mb dimm
- 30gb maxtor hdd
- diskette drive
- winmodem
- nvidia tnt2 32mb video
- lg 52x cd

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Thanks. The consensus here at work seems to be either the memory or the video card. I will attempt the memory first because I have two 128Mb dimms. i will remove one and take it from there and keep you guys updated.

This has been the most painful upgrade so far, see my other post on problems loading o/s.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It was not the memory. Could the cpu do something like this if it were overheating? It is about 3 years old

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Could it possibly be the CPU case itself and a bad ground? Make sure that the standoffs for the motherboard are non-conductive or nothing is shorting out the +5v/+12v to the motherboard...

Might be the CPU, can you pop that sucka in another PC?

Jay

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Neil,
Use the leas amt of parts as necessary to load the OS and take everything else out.

If you can test the Video card in another machine also.
It could be the processor is starting to fail.

Another option would be is to stick the hard drive in your other PC (remove the original) and install XP on the Hard drive there and then take the hard drive back out and plug it into the 2nd PC and see if it will boot up. It may have to recognize new stuff but that is OK. If it doesn't it could be the motherboard or processor that is having problems.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
When I had my issue like this, it was an overheating CPU - the fan wasn't moving enough (dusty, old fan). Doesn't necessarily sound like your issue, just what I had happen. Ran fine through install until it got under too much load - then wap, blue screen, reboot.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That seems exactly like what is happening and this is the same thought process I had.... does not crap out until some load is placed on it which is why I am starting to lean a little toward the cpu and/or the cooling fan/heatsink.

I will try to download a diagnostic diskette that I can use to test the components. As well, I may try to buy a new heatsink/fan for the pentium 3 and then take it from there.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Update

I tried every test on the diagnostics diskette from cpu, memory, video, mainboard, components... everything and looped them several times with no failure. Booted from the hard drive to complete the winxp install and as soon as it gets to the blue screen with the list of "install to do's", the computer restarts/reboots windows.

I am very close to just calling it quits.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Reseat all the cards and memory if you haven't done so already. Try another power supply if you have one.

Also, if you are using an UPS, make sure you aren't overloading it.

Good Luck!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Final update...

Now it won't even boot up. The last thing I did was to pop in my Radeon 9200 in place of the Nvidia video card. It did not boot up but just sits there with the cpu and power supply fans running. I have it 30 minutes of waiting. Put the nvidia back in and same thing. I will change the motherboard and or processor & memory depending on what's available. Wish me luck

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, I replaced the motherboard and cpu and all is well as expected, no problems loading windows.

Thanks for all your help.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Hey Neil,

Glad you were able to get the PC up and running. Much luck with your new computer!!!

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks