What's new

Lexmark printer help: Windows startup choices ignored (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
First off I want to say I told the person who owns this crummy printer/fax/scanner to *not* buy a Lexmark, based on many people's opinions and the fact that two other Lexmarks (same model) broke down after only four months of very light use in two different households in my family.

Anyway...........the computer in question that the Lexmark is connected to (and the one this is being typed on) is a five year old Compaq running Windows ME, with only 64M of RAM, a 15gig hard drive, and a 633mHz processor. btw: buying another computer is not an option. So to keep this vintage computer's :) work load to a minimum, lately I've gone into the start up menu and unchecked all the unneeded programs, especially after loading it with SBC's DSL software which caused a very noticaeable slowdown.

Right after loading the Lexmark's software* I found several background programs running. No big deal, right? So I unchecked them. Then I restarted the computer as required but when I hit ctrl/alt/delete to check the close program box, one of its programs was still running ("lxceppls"). Arrgh. Thinking I missed that one I went back into the start up menu and I couldn't believe it - I hadn't missed it but it had reloaded itself a second time and its box was checked! And the previous entry was still there, box unchecked. This thing is alive I thought! :frowning: So I unchecked THAT one, and restarted again. Ctrl/alt/delete.......and it was back, a third time. Just for the heck of it, I repeated the process. Same result.

Then becoming a bit upset at this virus-like printer program, I uninstalled it and re-installed to no effect. Now there is a total of four entries for this program with unchecked boxes and one new entry with a checked box (using the "clean up" feature didn't erase the other ones).

Anyone have a clue as to how to let us use our computer the way WE want to and not Lexmark?

* this thing's software is awful: where our previous seven year old HP would start printing just a few seconds after hitting "print", the Lexmark takes almost a full minute to start printing after it finally loads its....whatever it is loading. And about 20% of the time it (literally) says "printing complete" but the printer never did a thing! And for some reason the computer can act sluggish even after the printer is done.

Q.C. FYI: after only less than a year of ownership & scanning only maybe 5 or so 35mm 4x6 inch film photos per month, a portion of the scanner head(?) is already non-functional and it leaves a @1.5" strip of unscanned area in the final image. :realmad: And paper jams and it not being able to grab the blank page in the first place are near-daily occurances.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
No clues at all? Could this be one of those deals where the Lexmark changed added something to the registry? Hope not because I'm too chicken to mess with that. :)

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Aside from uninstalling the software through the "add/remove programs" option in the control panel I have a few ideas.

First thing I can suggest is going to the start menu, select run and then type in "msconfig" and then press the enter key. In this new window select the "startup" tab and de-select the lexmark applications.

If they still turn up, there is likely to be a daemon running in the background. Run through the process shown here:
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_un..._on_windows_xp
Do a google search for the name of the service if your not sure what it is, that way you'll know if your okay to turn it off or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks