Computer consulting... what to charge?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonRoeber, Jul 26, 2002.

1. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Has anyone here done any consulting for desktop computer repair? I'm being asked to help someone fix some problems with their mac. From a technical standpoint, this is absolutely no problem, I've got some good ideas already as to what the problem is, and how to fix it. But I don't know what to charge.

I used to do unix consulting work, but I don't think charging my old consulting rate to this woman is very fair, nor appropriate for the work that I'm going to be doing.

Any ideas?

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Depends on where you are, how much competition, how good you are and what your reputation is.

I charge $100/hour for my clients. I don't have many of them because my rate is high, but they are very good clients and don't mind paying my fees because I usually get things done 2-3 times faster, and usually better, then their old consultants and actually save them time and money by doing so.

Average around here is probably 35-50/hour. This is on-site work rates, and in Dallas.

3. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I'm working for a mobile computer repair company here in Austin. Right now we are charging $60/hr. And, that is low. The other place that does it here in town charges $80/hr. Now keep in mind that we have a 1 hr min. So, if you are in and our in less then an hour, you still get payed for that hour.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

$60-$100/hr with a 2 hour minimum plus materials

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

55 per hour with a 1 hour minimum on PC repairs the MAC shop in town charges 100 per hour for in home service.

KyleS

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

We do alot of computer consulting as well as software (mostly accounting) consulting. We charge between $65-$125 an hour.

7. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that this'll be in Philadelphia. She's got all of the materials, and the work that I'm going to do is most likely going to take at least two hours anyway. I was origionally going to charge $25/hr, but it sounds like $50/hr is more realistic.

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

$60 per hour when I'm doing Mac work, Don. If it's a referral from a friend or co-worker, I'll charge $50/hr.