What's new

Computer consulting... what to charge? (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Has anyone here done any consulting for desktop computer repair? I'm being asked to help someone fix some problems with their mac. From a technical standpoint, this is absolutely no problem, I've got some good ideas already as to what the problem is, and how to fix it. But I don't know what to charge.

I used to do unix consulting work, but I don't think charging my old consulting rate to this woman is very fair, nor appropriate for the work that I'm going to be doing.

Any ideas?

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Depends on where you are, how much competition, how good you are and what your reputation is.

I charge $100/hour for my clients. I don't have many of them because my rate is high, but they are very good clients and don't mind paying my fees because I usually get things done 2-3 times faster, and usually better, then their old consultants and actually save them time and money by doing so.

Average around here is probably 35-50/hour. This is on-site work rates, and in Dallas.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I'm working for a mobile computer repair company here in Austin. Right now we are charging $60/hr. And, that is low. The other place that does it here in town charges $80/hr. Now keep in mind that we have a 1 hr min. So, if you are in and our in less then an hour, you still get payed for that hour.

KyleS

Screenwriter
55 per hour with a 1 hour minimum on PC repairs the MAC shop in town charges 100 per hour for in home service.

KyleS

Cam S

Screenwriter
We do alot of computer consulting as well as software (mostly accounting) consulting. We charge between $65-$125 an hour.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that this'll be in Philadelphia. She's got all of the materials, and the work that I'm going to do is most likely going to take at least two hours anyway. I was origionally going to charge $25/hr, but it sounds like $50/hr is more realistic.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
$60 per hour when I'm doing Mac work, Don. If it's a referral from a friend or co-worker, I'll charge $50/hr.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks