What's new

Composite Coax To Connect Sub (1 Viewer)

michael*b

Auditioning
I have been reading a lot of the comments in this forum regarding coax cables, and it seems there is not a whole lot of difference between them - composite vs. component - they're all shielded coax and as long as they have gold plated connectors of good quality, OFC center and a durable outer jacket they'll all work just fine regardless of manufacturer.

My question: Will these same cables work to connect my sub to my receiver and will they work as audio interconnects as well?

I am considering the RCA cables as Fry's.

michael*b

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Be careful. Saying all coax cables are the same is like saying you can drive 55 mph on any surface coated with asphalt. Like roads, coax is build for different applications.

Lucky for you, audio signals are considered low frequency and subwoofer signals are the lowest-of-the-low.

I have made my own 25 ft subwoofer cable by using White CATV coax from Radio Shack and 2 "F-to-RCA-Female" adaptors. Total cost was less than $13. It works just as well as:

- The Monster Video 2 video cable I use now
- The Canare video cable I built

So video cables make dandy audio cables.

lancer1558

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Roerhick
After reviewing a number of posts, shielded coax (composite) cables can be used for RCA audio connections. Are the shielded coax 75 ohm cables superior in performance to the red and white 50 ohm RCA cables?
If so, shielded coax (composite) cables are a good option to red and white RCAs.
thanks,
Gary

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Seventy-five-ohm cable, including regular coaxial, is best for video, but also works well for audio. However, 50-ohm cable should only be used for audio.

Regards,
Wayne

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator
I made subwoofer cables out of RG6 and RCA adaptors from Ratshack and they work great.

I have also used them for composite audio and video as well as component with great results.

I prefer these cables because I can customize their length and they are inexpensive.

From what I understand you can use video cables for audio but, usually, not audio cables for video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks