What's new
World Wide Stereo

Composite a/v cables - does quality matter? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
OK. I have just bought a Toshiba VHS/DVD recorder combo unit (specifically, the DVR610). I plan on mostly using the dubbing feature (that is, using a "one touch" feature to easily record my non-copy protected VHS to DVD-R using only this deck and not a separate VCR). However, for my copy-protected VHS, I have a macrovision blocker/video stabilizing unit that I would use and I was wondering if upgrading to higher quality composite video cables (like gold-plated ones) would provide a stronger, better quality signal and thus make a better transfer quality when I hook up another VCR to the recorder.

And I was just generally wondering if higher quality composite cables would noticeably improve the a/v quality of my components that still use composite cables, like my old stand-alone VCR and gaming consoles.

If it is worth it to upgrade to better composite cables, can anyone recommend a good vendor? I see the site av-cables.net has a nice selection.

Thanks!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Stephen.

While 'quality' does matter for analog signals - composite and standard def has been around so long that it's not a challenge for any name brand cables like Acoustic Resource Pro2, or even Radio Shack MegaCables.

If you want a really good, HD rated video cable (way over-kill for standar def), try Blue Jeans Cable -- Broadcast-Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices This would be my choice for a cable with the technical specs to handle HD so it would be great for standard def as well.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You certainly want something better than the el-cheapo composite and component cables that typically come with home electronics, including cable boxes and satellite receivers. Gold connectors will indeed provide better connetions (provided they're tight.) Having said that, I agree with Bob. There's no point gonig overboard. You'll get better peformance from a cable that costs you a few bucks than from the kind of "free" crap the companies give away. But you won't get any comparable improvement by going with a $30 or $40 interconnect instead of a $10 one. You want stuff rated for 75 ohms, with good connectors and adequately heavy "build" and insulation. (One of the notable thing about the "free" cables is their obvious flimsiness and poor manufacturing quality - thin cable, excess plastic from the injection molds, etc.)

Regards,

Joe

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice fellas! I think I'll head off to my local Best Buy or ratshack soon to see what kind of budget (no more than $20) 75 ohm cables I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks