What's new

Inherited a CRT FP - How to Integrate It? (1 Viewer)

Drew_Linsalata

Auditioning
Hi folks,

Just got my hands on an Electrohome ECP4000 for just about nothing, and now I have to figure out how to integrate it into my system. Warning - I am a total projection newbie!

The ECP4000 appears to have 2 composite, 2 RGBHV and 1 S-Video input. Here are my sources right now:

Digital cable box: Composite and S-Video out
Pioneer Elite DVD: Composite, S-Video and Component out
Phillips Hi-Fi VCR: Composite out

All three are using composite connections to my Marantz A/V receiver, which then does composite to an aging 32" RCA TV. The Marantz does have S-Video output, but no component video switching at all.

The VCR really doesnt matter much. Its really just for the videos the kids watch, none of which are HT quality anyway. Its the DVD and the cable box that are our primary sources. I'll upgrade to HD cable which means Cablevision will drop in a box with component out.

OK, gurus. What would you do with the ECP4000? I guess the easiest thing would just be to do S-Video from the receiver to the projector and let it go, it seems a shame to waste the component outputs of the DVD player (progressive scan) and the HD cable box. What about a line doubler? Will I need one given the sources?

Many thanks in advance for your willingness to impart wisdom.
:)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
also make sure you grab the manuals so you know what you're doing to set this thing up, and search on ECP stuff there at AVS, there is a lot of great info on these little units, and if you get stuck there are a lot more CRT gurus hanging about than you think.

TimG

Second Unit
Do not use the s-video input. It is extremely crappy. Go with component into a transcoder, which converts it into a vga signal then a 5-wire breakout into the projector. You will get a much better picture and also be able to show HD on the projector. Also pick up an IScan doubler to view vcr if wanted. Good quality and relatively cheap. Or there are some good scalers around the $1000 mark. Look around the AVS site, enough info there to make your head spin. By the way I use an Electrohome 4101.

TimG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks