What's new

Component Video with projector (1 Viewer)

Falcor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Presley
I'm pretty new to owning a HT, but the way my projector is connected to my receiver, is through an S Video cable. As I understand it, I cannot plug in other devices (such as a DVD player) into the receiver using anything other than S-Video since thats how the projector is plugged in.

Is there any way around this? I'd LIKE to plug my projector into the receiver using component video cables, but still be able to use S-video for some of the other equipment so I can avoid having to buy a Component Video switch, to plug everything else into. It seemed logical to me since S-Video is inferior to Component but.. I dont really know much about it.

Any info appreciated :)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Do both your receiver and your projector possess component video inputs?

If so it is very easy to add component video to the projector alongside (cables parallelling) S-video. Then you can connect the DVD player to the receiver using component cables.

You would have to choose, say, Video 1 on the projector remote for S-video and Video 2 for component video sources (and Video 3 on the projector remote for composite sources if any). The most up to date receivers "upconvert" S-video inputs and cross feed them to the component outputs eliminating the manual selection with the projector remote but you don't have to upgrade to this tomorrow.

You don't need switch boxes just because some inputs are component and other inputs are composite.

Another alternative is to plug the DVD player directly into the projector using its component cables.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Falcor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan Presley
Ahh right, thanks Allan that cleared up a great deal. I wasnt even thinking of running both, then switching video modes like that. I think thats how I'll do it.

Also.. the only other problem I have with my setup is that, like on a normal television, I still have those white bars that travel slowly up the screen.. and they are very annoying. When I'm fixated on a dvd or something its relatively easy to just kind of ignore them, but the projector I'm using is a very nice one, and I know there has to be a way to eliminate that effect from showing on the picture. I calibrated the projector settings to the best of my ability, and they did seem to ease up a SMALL amount but... not totally gone. Will switching from S-Video to Component fix this as well?

Thanks in advance!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
One thing I suggest regarding white bars drifting up the screen is, running a single wire (can be bare) going to every piece of equipment, including the cable box and the VCR, as a ground. This wire is in addition to all other cables. Attach the wire to a screw that in turn is attached to the metal frame of the equipment. For equipment with wood or plastic cabinets finding a screw that goes all the way to metal underneath may be difficult.

Another thing to try, unplug every single cable including power cords and the cable going out to the satellite dish or cable system. Undo all wires (except the ground I described if you installed that). Now connect up just enough for watching DVD's or whatever had the problem. Add back other cables one at a time to see when the white bars reappear. This will track down an offending piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks