What's new

component video plugs on TV (1 Viewer)

brandon*b

Grip
I have a Sony 32" Wega that is about 1 1/2 yrs. old. It is not HDTV ready. I was using an S-Video plug and was under the impression that this gave the best picture. I am in the process of upgrading my DVD player and read an article that stated that component video gave a better picture.

Does anyone know if my TV, which has conections on the back for component video, will get a better picture using this than S-Video. Also, will a progressive scan DVD player give a better picture?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brandon. Welcome to HTF!

Home Theater magazine did a comparison of all 3 connection types on a 50" Reference RPTV. This was their conclusion:

Composite (single RCA cable) - baseline
SVideo (funny 'keyboard connector) - 20% better than composite
Component (3 RCA cables) - 25% better than composite

They noted that the difference between the cable types was LESS for smaller displays, and greater for larger ones.

So in theory, you should not notice much difference on your 27".

However - a fellow administrator here was playing around with his 25" bedroom TV. For grins, he removed the SVideo cable and hooked in a Component Video cable from his DVD player. He says the difference was quite noticible. The solid colors were more dense and the dividing lines were sharper.

I suspect that there was some problem with his SVideo cable or a connection somewhere.

So it might be worth your time to buy a AR Pro component video cable from BestBuy/Sears and do your own test. Pick a DVD with lots of bright colors and FREEZE the scene, then do a A/B comparison.

Will a Progressive Scan DVD player give a better picture?

Generally, No. And you cannot take advantage of the Progressive output without a HDTV television.

However, current-generation progressive-scan DVD players may be much-improved over your old one. This MAY give you a better picture, but dont expect it.

Hope this helps.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
The answer is easier than you think. When using Svideo on the Sony's(and most TVs), you bypass the internal comb filter, relying on the source devices filters. The internal Sony 3D comb filters are very good, and your picture will usually look better with composite signals.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The internal Sony 3D comb filters are very good, and your picture will usually look better with composite signals.
That depends on the source. If you're using a source like DVD or S-VHS that stores the chroma and luminescence information separately, there is no need for a comb filter. The separately stored signals should be transferred by separate connections to the display (which is what S-video and component connections do), where they will be separately processed.

Using a composite connection forces the two signals to be combined and then separated, for no reason. I don't care how good the Sony comb filters are; combining and separating those two signals always produces some sort of artifact.

M.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
What you are gaining with the Svideo and Component connections is resolution. I've not seen any artifacts created by composite other than moire. If there is a noticable change, and you like it, then use it. It is not a crime to use composite connections, though it is treated like one. The whole HT experience is for personal enjoyment.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Michael, Here's the response I got back from an ISF tech about resolution per connection type:
Composite ... 480 lines to 540 ... but depends heavily on the TV's comb filter.
S-Video ... 480 lines to 540 ...
Component ... 540 lines ... but depends heavily on input signal.
While it is true that it is better to keep the signals seperate, a Composite connection has the capability of providing the same resolution as S-video.

I looked into my DVD to TV composite and component resolutions using Avia's 200 TVL resolution pattern. Pictures are below. Initally, the composite showed severe moire. I removed it by simply getting into the service menus of my TV, and adjusting the mode of the 3d comb filter.

This was the composite before adjustment.

This is the component video.

This was the composite after the adjustment.

Some people's version of 'better' will not necessarily be your version, either.
I notice that the color saturation is higher when using composite vs component, especially the flesh tones seem to be more red. This may well be something out of adjustment internal to the DVD player, or in the TV, I don't know.

BTW, I didn't have an S-Video Cable, so that's why there is no picture using one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks