component video plugs on TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by brandon*b, Aug 5, 2003.

1. brandon*b

brandon*b Extra

I have a Sony 32" Wega that is about 1 1/2 yrs. old. It is not HDTV ready. I was using an S-Video plug and was under the impression that this gave the best picture. I am in the process of upgrading my DVD player and read an article that stated that component video gave a better picture.

Does anyone know if my TV, which has conections on the back for component video, will get a better picture using this than S-Video. Also, will a progressive scan DVD player give a better picture?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Brandon. Welcome to HTF!

Home Theater magazine did a comparison of all 3 connection types on a 50" Reference RPTV. This was their conclusion:

Composite (single RCA cable) - baseline
    SVideo (funny 'keyboard connector) - 20% better than composite
    Component (3 RCA cables) - 25% better than composite

They noted that the difference between the cable types was LESS for smaller displays, and greater for larger ones.

So in theory, you should not notice much difference on your 27".

However - a fellow administrator here was playing around with his 25" bedroom TV. For grins, he removed the SVideo cable and hooked in a Component Video cable from his DVD player. He says the difference was quite noticible. The solid colors were more dense and the dividing lines were sharper.

I suspect that there was some problem with his SVideo cable or a connection somewhere.

So it might be worth your time to buy a AR Pro component video cable from BestBuy/Sears and do your own test. Pick a DVD with lots of bright colors and FREEZE the scene, then do a A/B comparison.

Will a Progressive Scan DVD player give a better picture?

Generally, No. And you cannot take advantage of the Progressive output without a HDTV television.

However, current-generation progressive-scan DVD players may be much-improved over your old one. This MAY give you a better picture, but dont expect it.

Hope this helps.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    The answer is easier than you think. When using Svideo on the Sony's(and most TVs), you bypass the internal comb filter, relying on the source devices filters. The internal Sony 3D comb filters are very good, and your picture will usually look better with composite signals.

5. Michael Reuben

6. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    What you are gaining with the Svideo and Component connections is resolution. I've not seen any artifacts created by composite other than moire. If there is a noticable change, and you like it, then use it. It is not a crime to use composite connections, though it is treated like one. The whole HT experience is for personal enjoyment.

7. Michael Reuben

8. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Michael, Here's the response I got back from an ISF tech about resolution per connection type:

9. Michael Reuben