What's new

Component Switcher? (1 Viewer)

NickSchmidt

Agent
I need a component switcher to hook up my PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and Progressive DVD player. I'm getting an HDTV soon and I really really need a switch box since the TV only has 2 component inputs and I have four machines. Any switch box thing out there that will let me use the progressive scan features of the systems through the box? 480i Component wont do :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Inday and Audio Authority make switchers ... among others ...

Keohihdtv site has a few links to switchers ...

$200 range

Regards

Ray**W

Auditioning
Nic,

You may want to look at the Sima SVS-4D. I spent a ton of time looking for a switcher and this one is great.

It has sound compression so the switching of channels and commercials don't jump at you. Turns itself on/off when it senses a signal from a component (came with a remote which I never used). Also auto switches as devices are turned off/on - it's seamless.

L/R connections AND S-Video for each as well. Converts everything to digital sound and S-Video. About the size of a cigar box.

While I was at at, I got gold cables. Picture quality is noticeably better. 4 devices feed in and it goes out to my TV and Receiver. All of it works from my new Sony RM-AV3000 remote.

All of the others I looked at paled in comparison. On-line at around $115. The folks I ordered it from (don't remember who) said they sell these things in bunches.

Sima told me they are coming out with a 7 connection box in the spring.

Good luck with it.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm partial to this one myself http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.htm IR remote controllable and will switch digital and analog audio as well. Plus it has a much higher bandwidth than the Audio Authority swither.
I've still got one of those Sima switches laying around somewhere. I found that it degraded the signal when I was uing it. Of course, I didn't really notice until I got a much larger and better display.

NickSchmidt

Agent
>>Well, I'm partial to this one myself http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.htm IR remote controllable and will switch digital and analog audio as well. Plus it has a much higher bandwidth than the Audio Authority swither.
I've still got one of those Sima switches laying around somewhere. I found that it degraded the signal when I was uing it. Of course, I didn't really notice until I got a much larger and better display.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
The Zektor picture is just the same switcher stacked in both colors (black and silver).

The Sima switcher was an s-video only box and shouldn't even be in consideration. I only brought it up because someone else mentioned it.

If $200 is your cap then the Audio Authority switcher should be more than adequate. You shouldn't have a problem with it degrading the signals it switches, video or audio. The AA switch has less bandwidth than the Zektor, but it's still got 100Mhz of bandwidth, which should be plenty.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This thread in the Receiver section on Inexpensive HD Video Switching has links and discussion of 3 units.
And a note on bandwidth: here are the max frequencies -
Component Video: 4 Mhz
Progressive Video: 13 Mhz
1080 HD Video: 35 Mhz
To be safe, you typically want a device to pass TWICE your maximum frequency with no more than a 3 db loss. So this means any receiver/switch box with a 70 Mhz bandwidth should be fine for even true HD video.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks