What's new

comparison screenshots of P&S vs. OAR (1 Viewer)

Stefan A

Second Unit
I know this comes up often but I can't seem to find what I am looking for doing a search. Can I get a few web sites with screenshots comparing the 2.

Thanks

Stefan A

Second Unit
Thanks, that is an excellent web site. Although, if you look at some of their examples, you can see that they didn't get the exact spot in both versions. A skeptic may notice that and say that it was just a different part of the movie.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Or an idiot. Most people wouldn't be able to tell, unless they were really close together. Besides he has a note on the site that says that it is tough to match them perfectly.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Here's one that more accurately shows what the two would look like on the same sized TV screen...
widescreen.jpg

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Does no one want a return to orb-shaped tvs with round screens? So futuristic!

Ivan Luk

Agent
16:9 (1.78 aspect ratio) TV's will not solve the problem completely. Witness HBO "pan & scamming" 2.0 and above aspect ratio movies to fit on the 1.78 screens. When J6P gets those TV's, they'll demand that the entire screen is used.
IMHO, OAR is a lost cause with J6P--we have to convince enough people to see the light in order to have enough of a "niche" for studios to continue releasing OAR for all movies, rather than just select movies in the near future. This is so unfortunate! :frowning:
In any case, here's a good one with comments: Link Removed

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Someone should put some screen shots of Ben-Hur panned and widescreen. Since that film was shot in the widest aspect ratio, I bet to pan and scam that sucker you cut 60-65% of the original picture. I'm so glad I got it on dvd in it's OAR...man there was a lot I was missing!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just read the 2001 review and it made it sound like the fight for widescreen releases sounds pretty bleak.
Is there a "kill P&S" website like there was with DIVX?
I'm off to make an anti-p&s banner... I just need a website to link it to.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I find using Picture-In-Picture capability of a TV quite useful to compare OAR vs MAR items, if you have VHS and DVD hooked up to the same PiP TV. Put in the P&S VHS and the WS DVD at the same time, sync up the performances as closely as you can, and get your digital camera ready if you want stills:
CE3K-PiPcompareMARvsOAR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks