commercial speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I know a guy that can get me some commercial JBL speakers (the kind at concerts and at bars) for about half retail price.

Is there anything wrong with these? I was thinking that the commercial line would be the same quality as the home line , just better build quality.

Am I totally wrong here? Is there something the home line has that the commercial products do not?

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you want really accurate PA style stuff, check out Mackie!!

3. TomH

TomH Second Unit

What about professional studio monitors?

Tom

4. RichardH

Professional Studio monitors sound great! But they are designed to be totally accurate, so they'll be really revealing of source material and upstream components. Also, they are meant to be listened to as nearfields, not 10+ feet away, so that will affect things.

e.g. Genelec is one of the standard studio monitors, and they have a home theater line that basically looks like their studio line, but could be tuned for home theater use. You might check those out.

The cool part about those is that each speaker has crossover and two amps built in, so all you do is feed it line level signal. No mess, no fuss!

When I really get a chance to put together the home theater of my dreams, I'm going to have all active speakers, plus some SVS subs!!!

5. RichardH

Jim:
    I agree with your assessment on Mackie, etc. Maybe some EQ would help with the brightness, but you're definitely right about it being overkill!!! Imagine Mackie SRM-450s in a 12x20 home theater living room LOL [​IMG]