What's new

Coming To America II. Hollywood to ruin yet another 80 Hit Classic. (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How can this film “ruin” memories of the ‘88 film??

I never get these kind of statements. The original stands as it always has and always will. I never let a shitty sequel have any bearing on the original.

And ya know, this sequel actually may turn out to be good. Stranger things have happened. ;)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"Dollars to donuts Hollywood will ruin our happy memories of the 1988 original."

OUR? Rather presumptuous to assume we all have happy memories of the film. Like Tino, I can't grasp the mentality of a sequel/remake ruining memories of a film. I loathed the 1976 Streisand A Star Is Born but far from ruining my happy memories of the 1954 film, it made me appreciate how excellent the 1954 film was. I loved Romancing The Stone but the mediocre sequel Jewel Of The Nile did nothing to damage my memories of the 1984 original.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I wouldn't be surprised if this never comes about. Beverly Hills Cop IV has been "announced" many times and still nothing. I'd totally love to see both sequels, but all the false starts have me sceptical.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
"Dollars to donuts Hollywood will ruin our happy memories of the 1988 original."

OUR? Rather presumptuous to assume we all have happy memories of the film. Like Tino, I can't grasp the mentality of a sequel/remake ruining memories of a film. I loathed the 1976 Streisand A Star Is Born but far from ruining my happy memories of the 1954 film, it made me appreciate how excellent the 1954 film was. I loved Romancing The Stone but the mediocre sequel Jewel Of The Nile did nothing to damage my memories of the 1984 original.

Remakes can be a good thing in some circumstances. The French JEAN DE FLORETTE was a brilliant remake and was said to be better than the original French film. A STAR IS (STILL) BORN was a disaster.Many nominations for awards but it received none (so far). The recent BBC television remake of WAR AND PEACE was a stunning production. The recent German DAS BOOT television series was also a brilliant follow up to the classic film of the same name. Hopefully the movie adaptation of DOWNTON ABBEY will live up to the standards expected of it. The television remake of SOUTH PACIFIC musical was ,in my opinion, the worst ever remake of a classic film . Let us not also forget the intelligence (or lack of it) in remaking PSYCHO.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A STAR IS (STILL) BORN was a disaster.Many nominations for awards but it received none (so far).
Incorrect. A Star Is Born (2018) won the Golden Globe for Best Song. Best Actress from The National Board Of Review..Among many other Critics Associations Nominations and WINS. It’s also nominated for 7 BAFTAS, the PGA and DGA awards.

Also the Oscar Nominations, the most important,have not been announced yet and I’m sure it will get many and win at least a few.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A STAR IS (STILL) BORN was a disaster.Many nominations for awards but it received none (so far).

A disaster? Assuming you're talking about the 2018 remake, all film makers should have such a "disaster"! I won't go into its $400 million dollar gross so far (and still growing) because many bad movies have made a ton of money. Its reviews have been 90% positive and both the American Film Institute and the National Board Of Review have included it on their 10 best of the year list. It has won awards including best supporting actor (Sam Elliott) from the Atlanta Film Critics Circle, best actor (Bradley Cooper) from the Black Film Critics Circle, best picture from the Dalls/Fort Worth Film Critics Association, best picture, best actor (Cooper) and best actress (Lady Gaga) from the Dublin Film Critics Circle, best supporting actor (Elliott) from the Indiana Film Journalists, best supporting actor (Elliott) from the Las Vegas Film Critics Society, best picture, best director (Cooper), actress (Gaga) and supporting actor (Elliott) from the National Board Of Review, supporting actor (Elliott) from New Mexico Film Critics, best film from St. Louis Film Critics Association, best actor (Cooper) and actress (Gaga) from the Washington DC Film Critics Association. The BAFTA and SAG awards haven't been given out yet nor Oscar nominations announced.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The title to this thread immediately turned me off, and I didn't click on it for a day or two, despite wanting to read it. The title is instantly negative and assumes that everyone feels that way about this project.

I liked Coming to America. Does it need a sequel? Probably not, but if they can come up with something interesting and get the original stars involved, why not? If it's worthwhile, great; if not, the original still stands on its own. We lose nothing.

Mods - perhaps the thread title can be changed, simply to "Coming to America II." If the thread was originally called that and a post said what the title says now, we'd say "no trolling."

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It won't ruin ANY memories if you simply don't go see the film. I'm no fan at all of the Hollywood remake or late sequel trains, but the choice is yours. No one is going to force you to watch it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mods - perhaps the thread title can be changed, simply to "Coming to America II." If the thread was originally called that and a post said what the title says now, we'd say "no trolling."
While I agree with you, I would think that would be up to the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks