What's new

Comcast & TIVO (1 Viewer)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought an 80 hour series 2 tivo. I currently have HD from Comcast. I know that I cannot record hd content. My question is how do I hook up my tivo. So I can flip to HD channels when I want and also be able to use the tivo with out switching inputs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
TiVo outputs its video signal in one of three formats: composite, S-video or modulated RF. None of these formats can carry an HD image. So to connect TiVo to the HD input on your TV, you'd need something that would upconvert the TiVo image to HD resolution (or at least to 480p resolution), and then a video-switching receiver of sufficient bandwidth to handle the HD signal.

Otherwise, you're stuck with using different inputs on the TV (which is what I do and what I'd recommend).

M.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, there may be an easy way out, depending on the TV.

My Pioneer 533 HD has multiple jacks per input. For example, on Input 1, I have composite, S-Vid, and Component. It will always default to the highest quality input when there is signal on more than one.

So, if my OTA HD box is on, thats what I get. If its off, it will drop to the S-Vid connection, if that is on, and so on.

Does your set do that? If so, does your Comcast box put out a signal on the component outs simultaneously with the SD outputs?

If its does keep all outputs live at all times, you will need to follow Michael's suggestion. But if not, you may be able to work around this with little trouble.

BGL

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I have the sony 46" widescreen tv. And it does not have that function. What do I do if my tivo does not have my channel setup correctly (ex. it shows mtv as channel 29 but it is actually 24)

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have a Tivo and HD from comcast? If yes can you tell me how you have it hooked up?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Just hook up the S-video + analog audio to the Tivo. Tivo S-video + audio to the TV (or through an AV receiver).

To watch shows live in HD, component video to the TV, digital audio to the receiver. Macros on my universal remote do the switching.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I told you in the first sentence of my previous post. In addition you need the IR blaster to change channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks