What's new

Coltrane (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Help -- I am addicted.

Been listening to My favorite Things and A love Supreme pretty much non-stop all weekend and since.

I listened to Giant Steps for a bit but didn't "get" it yet. It sometimes takes a couple of sessions with these things, while I loved My favorite things immediately (easy melody), A love Supreme snuck up on me while I was reading with it in the background. It was a revelation.

Fans?

--
H

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I like Coltrane's music a lot. I find it very challenging, similar in degree and vein to understanding the music of Miles Davis. May I ask what it is that draws you to it? I also appreciate a ton of other jazz greats. Maybe there should be (or is there already?) a jazz thread. :emoji_thumbsup:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There are a couple, which you will find with a title search of "jazz". There is also a Coltrane thread, but it''s a couple of years old, time for a new one :D

I've been a casual jazz fan for years, have a couple of albums of the more recent stuff, love jazz clubs and festivals and have always been drown to "jazzy" music. But I never set out to actually explore the genre till now, so I decided recently to start with the classics/consensus picks, and so far, Coltrane works best.

ALS is one of the few thematic/concept albums to which I have listened. The way the theme is built and worked through the album is just amazing.

--
H

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I've always loved Coltrane's Africa/Brass double album. It has two excellent renditions of Greensleeves. That said, my favorite way to listen to Coltrane is to pop in an album where he is backing up Miles Davis.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard someone say that about KoB...it's easily my favorite jazz CD. I listen to it constantly. It's the go-to late night jazz disc. I particularly enjoy it when it's raining out...just always seems to fit the mood.

That being said, I'm a big fan of Mr. Coltrane. Shortly after picking up KoB, I went out and got "Blue Train." It too is a jazz classic, IMO. I've got the MoFi Gold CD version as well as the splendid HDAD version (24/96 on one side & 24/192 on the flip side). Another is "Soutrane"...I've got that one MoFi SACD and it sounds fantastic, especially in mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks