What's new

Color bleed when using component cables? (1 Viewer)

colin.w

Grip
Hi

This is really bugging me and I would be estatic if someone had an answer. I have a dvd player connected to the TV through S-video but I do have the option of connecting with the superior component y Pr Pb cables. However when I do this the picture isn't as good as the S-video one. I see a lot of color bleed and a ghosting with on-screen text (menus etc). Here is my set-up

Pioneer DV-533 mutli region PAL/NTSC DVD player with Y Pb Pr
Panasonic TC-29P22R 29 inch TV multi-system with Y Pb Pr

I connect them with a Monster cable which is marked Y Cb Cr (Could the fact that the cable is Y Cr Cb and not Y Pr Pb be the reason?) The cable has been changed once incase it was faulty, with no difference noticed. Any ideas? Am I just being an idiot? Any help would be appreciated, if you need any more information then just ask as I really would like to solve this one.

Thanks
Colin

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I guess we have to go thru the usual tests. Do you have the cables correctly lined up. Are the cables pushed all the way in? Cables can be very finicky, especially component. The cables running from my toshiba dvd player have to go in straight as possible, can't be bent, otherwise I wind up with a distinct green tinge to everything on my set.

Do you have two different settings for interlaced and progressive and are your inputs separate for interlaced and progressive. This stuff can be a real pain in the ass. I had problems outputting a progressive signal from my cousin's pro scan dvd player to her new projector. Reason, the standard component input on the projector wouldn't accept a progressive signal, it required an adaptor.

colin.w

Grip
Thanks for replying.

As far as I can tell the connections are in correctly. They're a pain to get in though, it's a tight fit. Neither the player or the TV are progressive scan. I'm a bit behind the times with my set-up.

Col

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe a problem with the TV? That's really wierd. I would see if you can borrow a DVD player from a friend and see if it has the same problem. BTW, just in case this isn't already clear, you don't have to put it in progressive scan mode to notice an improvement with component cables, and you certainly shouldn't have that bleeding or overall green tint.

I'm leaning towards a cross-circuited connector behind the patch panel on the back of the TV.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Do you still have the dvd player connected with both s-video and component?

I noticed the exact same problem once when I connected the dvd player to the tv with both connections.

Don*A

Agent
Cables are pasive really can not be bad unless there is a split in the cable which the problems would be different. It really sounds like the cables are crossed. Make sure you have green to green, red to red and blue to blue, this would cause the trouble you are having(been there done that). As for c or p the are the same. If everything is right the problem is your TV or DVD. Good Luck

colin.w

Grip
Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I can't remember if I did unplug the S-video cable or not, so I'll go back and try that. I'm sure I did line them all up correctly but I'll double check that as well. Finally I hope it's not a fault, but the S-video picture is watchable, as getting the TV repaired would be a big pain.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks