What's new

Collecting Poll (1 Viewer)

When did you first start collectiong TV shows on tape or film?

• 1970-79

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • 1980-89

Votes: 63 61.2%
  • 1990-99

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • 2000 and later

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Never thought to collect until DVD format

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
First started making recordings of "Must See TV" on NBC with a beta VCR and continued with a VHS machine and then moved onto DVD's and now bluray. I regretted never purchasing a dvd recorder.

I first experimented with audio recordings of Star Trek, Wild Wild West and Gilligan's Island with my first cassette player back in the late 60's.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Started around 1988. With a VHS. TBS had Gomer Pyle USMC on at 5 am. Recorded it. ABC local affiliate had it on at 11pm. I’d watch it after school. Still have the tapes

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I did buy my fair share of VHS movies back in the day. Many times we would go to the used VHS stores and grab some bargains. I was also guilty of buying up my "must own" DVD's back when DVD hit the streets but I kept the amounts to a decent minimum.

By the time Blu hit I got tired of throwing away my money so I rarely bought discs. I probably had at most 20 discs any given time but those are all sold off now that I stream.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Tapping shows started for me when my Dad tapped a couple VHS's worth of The Addams Family when they were on TBS back in 1991. After that he would tape anything I wanted. In a box somewhere downstairs, are the VHS's of not just this series, but of cartoons, TV specials, and movies as well.

1999 was when Poke'mon was at it's height of it's popularity and being a fan and still am today (only the original 152 though, I consider Togepi as #152.) The show came on my local UPN (United Paramount Network) channel which was channel 20 (for anyone on here that lived or lives in DMV (DC, Maryland, and Virginia) you know that channel very well). Poke'mon was in syndication for the first 30 plus episodes before it then moved to Kids WB on Saturday's. It aired at 3 pm Mon-Fri. I wish I still had those VHS, not just for the show, but for all those commercials now.

Fast-forward a few years to 2002-2003 and that's when I started to tape shows myself, the first show being Mama's Family when it was on TBS from 6-7 am. In 2004 it was then over to Lifetime where I tapped practically the entire runs of Designing Women, The Golden Girls, The Nanny, and Mad About You. These four shows were on Monday-Friday from 8 am-12 pm.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
I recorded sporadic episodes from TGIF back in the mid 90s...also a “Circus of the Stars” on VHS. I don’t own this anymore.

I also recorded a full VHS of “Mama’s Family” when it was on TBS. I still own this.

My first TV on DVD release was season 2 of “All in the Family”.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
VHS in the late 1980's. I couldn't tell you what my first titles were, though. Probably horror films, or Indiana Jones.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I never bothered collecting tv shows + movies until 2011.

Prior to 2011, I had very little to no interest in dvd/bluray/vhs/laserdisc/etc ... other than a brief fleeting moment in the 1990s when I thought about jumping on the laserdisc bandwagon. In the end, I only purchased a few laserdiscs (ie. Criterion colleciton versons of Blade Runner, Akira, etc ...) and exited the hobby abruptly shortly thereafter (under terms which I won't get into).

Back in the day, I more or less stopped watching tv regularly sometime in the late 1980s. (The last show I watched regularly was the first season or so of the original MacGyver).

This was around the same time my folks first purchased a VHS machine. I only really used the vhs player to record shows when I was out on weekday nights, and some dumb rock videos. At the time, I didn't see the point in collecting libraries of recorded tv shows.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
In the early-1980s, I was subscribing to "The Big Reel" and "Movie Collectors World," mainly for collecting b-movie lobby cards and such, but I gradually started ordering a few VHS tapes of vintage-tv. Bought a fair number of Shokus Video offerings, along with a lot of collector transfers of oddball series I wanted to see examples of... "Walter Winchell File," "Harbormaster," "City Detective," and just about any series I'd never encountered in syndication. Blank VHS tapes were twenty bucks each, when I got my first vcr. Prices dropped enough within a year that allowed me to justify initiating a long series of off-air tapings, starting with some of the "Blondie" movies being shown late at night on WTBS, in 1982-83. I concentrated on taping old movies, and had about 300 of them by 1985 or so. Around that time, I'd shifted a bit more towards taping old tv-series, especially when Nick-at-Night started up (summer 1985), and was running "Route 66," which I taped the entirety of. I tended to record old series that didn't get aired much. Uncommon stuff, not the familiar warhorse shows. Then, by the late-1980s, I veered back more towards old movies again, when Ted Turner opened up the floodgates with his TNT network in 1988, airing tons of films I'd never encountered up until that time.

When I was getting "The Big Reel" back then in the early-1980s, I'd see all the ads for 16mm, and I desperately wanted to branch out into it. But I was still in school, and there was no way my budget could handle it. A few weeks ago, I ran into an old issue from 1983 that I still have, and I was looking all over the ads of 16mm reels for sale... episodes of rare series like "Harry's Girls," "The Cheaters," "White Hunter," and such. There was an episode of "Our Man Higgins" with o/c for $30. Also, an unsold pilot I'd never heard of, "Miss Pepperdine," starring Marie Wilson, for $22. Lots of interesting stuff.

Tom.W

Second Unit
The fall of 1982 to record the 60 minute Twilight Zones. I remember WGN was promoting it as the first time it had been seen since the original airing in 1963. It probably reran at least in 1964. It was a Sanyo beta vcr. Many beta and vhs, and later dvd recorders followed.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
One of the first shows I recorded in the early 1980’s was “Soap” with Billy Chrystal. I used my $1500. Beta machine and one I borrowed from work to edit the commercials and credits etc. down so that I had one long program, without any interruptions.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The fall of 1982 to record the 60 minute Twilight Zones. I remember WGN was promoting it as the first time it had been seen since the original airing in 1963. It probably reran at least in 1964. It was a Sanyo beta vcr. Many beta and vhs, and later dvd recorders followed.

That was one of the first shows I ever traded for when I saw it was running in Toronto around 1981.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sometime in early 80's when I got my first Betamax. Started out only with movies, then added TV shows later.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
My first TV shows were 16mm prints of The Untouchables (The Larry Fay Story) and Colt .45 (The Escape) in 1974. I was in the Army in Germany and had them shipped over there and showed them to the guys in our day room. I collected Super 8, 16mm, and 35mm films until about 2001. I also started with VHS and laser in the early 1980s. DVDs and Blu-rays later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks