What's new

Collecting Poll (1 Viewer)

When did you first start collectiong TV shows on tape or film?

• 1970-79

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • 1980-89

Votes: 63 61.2%
  • 1990-99

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • 2000 and later

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Never thought to collect until DVD format

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If we're doing the first equipment thing, I found an approximation of the first VCR I used.

quasarvhsvcrmodelvh5154yq_1.jpg

It may have been around before I was born, but definitely was by the time I could remember things. The one my family had was black, though... none of that silver crap.

So I guess I had been dealing with collecting since, essentially, when I was born in the 80s, since I remember having recorded shows and the odd mass produced video throughout my early childhood. But I still consider that 90s date as when I started, buying my own VHS tapes to record shows.

Quasar manufactured my family's wood-paneled microwave. It still works to this day.

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
When I was quite young my parents splurged on a top loading VCR and the first thing I remember recording was "The New Avengers" on the CBS Late Movie.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I wish I had taped TV shows when TV Land actually showed MANY and rare, old TV shows. I let all those years go by, what a shame.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I would record favorite episodes of shows I liked before DVDs, but with the creation of DVDs, collecting shows became both affordable and practical.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I wish I had taped TV shows when TV Land actually showed MANY and rare, old TV shows. I let all those years go by, what a shame.

MeTV and Antenna TV have carried that torch for a while now. You can also find old 50's shows apps etc in the Roku Channel store.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
MeTV and Antenna TV have carried that torch for a while now. You can also find old 50's shows apps etc in the Roku Channel store.
Yeah, I've been able to get some rarities from them, but even those seem to be drying up a bit. GRIT Tv has pretty much run Laramie and Zane Grey into the ground though.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

We had to wait a year or so to get the channel on Time Warner Cable. And as Neil said, they started cutting them by the end of the decade, so by the time I got it everything they ran was cut except All in the Family for about a year before they moved it to Nick at Nite and switched to the cut versions.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Yeah, I've been able to get some rarities from them, but even those seem to be drying up a bit. GRIT Tv has pretty much run Laramie and Zane Grey into the ground though.
I wonder why they air 5 one hour episodes of Laramie a day? That's a pretty big chunk of programming, and they've been doing it for at least 2 years that I can remember. Is it that cheap to run, or wildly popular, or is the head of GRIT a superfan??? Why don't the just change the name GRIT to the LARAMIE channel???:rolling-smiley:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And this is what brought down Nick at Nite after the Viacom/Paramount Communications merger: too much reliance on a single show or the same 2 or 3 shows.*

*Funny, Nickelodeon proper was the same way.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Even then, they could find time to comment on picture and sound quality in their video reviews once studios actually started putting out product themselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks