Cold War (2018)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Title: Cold War (2018)

Genre: Drama, Romance, Music

Director: Paweł Pawlikowski

Cast: Joanna Kulig, Tomasz Kot, Borys Szyc, Agata Kulesza, Cédric Kahn, Jeanne Balibar, Adam Woronowicz, Adam Ferency, Adam Szyszkowski, Dražen Šivak, Slavko Sobin, Aloïse Sauvage

Release: 2018-06-08

Runtime: 88

Plot: A man and a woman meet in the ruins of post-war Poland. With vastly different backgrounds and temperaments, they are fatally mismatched and yet drawn to each other.

Roma left me cold. It was a slow, boring slog of a movie for me that I forced myself to sit through. Was it because it was in black & white? Because there wasn't a lot of dialog? Was it because that dialog was in two different foreign languages? Was it because it was a snapshot of an age gone by in a culture I'm not familiar with? I thought maybe some or all of these in toto were possibly the reason.

And then I saw Cold War.

B&W? Check. Foreign language? Check. Set in Poland & Paris between 1949 and the 60's? Check. Laconic? Check.

And yet I absolutely adore this movie. The incandescent Joanna Kulig has a lot to do with my love for this movie. Tomaz Kot (kind of like a Polish Thomas Jane here) is super as Wiktor. But Kulig -- who should have nabbed a nomination over, say Melissa McCarthy -- is a star. I never questioned why Wiktor did what he did. I never shook my head and thought, "why would he do that?". I got it. Kulig makes the case.

Cold War is one of my favorite films of 2018 and perhaps number one on my list.

https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/440298-zimna-wojna?language=en-US

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I loved this movie, well deserving of it's 3 academy award nominations.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I meant to post about this a while back when I saw it, but I guess it slipped my mind. I agree the film is fantastic (although it's still going to lose to Roma, which I also think is fantastic.) But it's very much worth your time to see it if you're interested.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks