Close Encounters and E.T. Packaging Questions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dustin Elmore, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Dustin Elmore

Dustin Elmore Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I need a favor. I just purchased the Two disc collectors edition of Close Encounters and the Two Disc Collector's edition of E.T. at a used CD/DVD store. Because these are used and have uncommon packaging, I'm thinking I may be missing part of the "box". I'm pretty sure CE3K is complete, but ET doesn't have any kind of label on any of its sides. Is there a slip cover I'm missing? A short description of the packaging for these two films would be greatly appreciated.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    No, there was no slipcase. It's a weird package, but it sounds like you've got the complete version. It's about the thickness of a keepcase, but it's folding cardboard. The sides as it sits on the shelf is a picture of the sky over a wooded area, with the two halves coming together. No lettering at all.

Edit: Oh, yeah. That's E.T., as you probably know. I don't have Close Encounters.

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Close Encounters does have a slipcase, BTW.

Doug

4. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

it's been said that e.t. had a slipcase initially, but spielberg's last minute decision to include the theatrical cut with the release is the reason why there's no slipcase, because there were different features on the discs before (?)...or maybe it's just cause it didn't say anywhere on the box that the theatrical cut was included, so they just put it on a sticker. does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

5. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Yeah unfortunately the ET package sticks out on my shelf with it having no spine [​IMG]

6. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

The 2-disc "CET3K" has a slipcase, and the inner case is a three-panel digipak. You open it up and it has two "pages" of production notes, then the right-hand side flips up to house the 2 DVD's. The inner case's cover show's Barry looking out the door, and the outer case show's the mothership.

7. Dustin Elmore

Dustin Elmore Stunt Coordinator

Hey, thanks everyone. I feel better knowing I have to whole product. Of course I wish they had come up with better Packaging. Sam E., that would kind of make sense as there isn't any mention of the theatrical version on the box, and there's no mention of it being either Full Screen or Wide-screen (that was a gamble for me). I'd assume there MUST have been some sticker to define them upon initial release. I went to amazon after viewing the special features to see what I was missing from the 3 disc version. Except for them mentioning a longer making of feature, all the extras on the 3rd disc appeared to be included on the two disc version. I found this odd, as it seems the 3 disc one barely had any benefit over the 2--just the classier casing and the CD soundtrack.

EDIT: Thanks bill, I think CE3K bothered me because of its "vertical" alignment. It just felt off. But that is exactly what I have. On a side, this was the first time I watched either of these films in 15 years, and I remember next to nothing of them. I was afriad I would find them boring, but both were absolutly wonderfull, and had me glued to the screen.