What's new

Clear Low Volume Movie Speakers (1 Viewer)

JeremyLJones

Auditioning
I am a man with a broken spirit.

I am moving into an apartment on the third floor with my girlfriend, and I had great plans on getting a new full home theatre setup. She has put down all my plans, and while I may be down, I am not out.

I am needing a really clear, crisp 3.1 setup (with room for expansion later). This will be for moving watching 99% of the time and occasionally the radio.

Since we are on the third floor, noise complaints are a concern to her as is budget.

Help! :frowning:

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Before I bought my Axiom speaker setup I was constantly having to adjust the volume between action and dialoge scenes.

After I bought my setup I was amazed that I could actually watch a movie at a given volume level without having to adjust the volume. A movie like 'Once Upon A Time in the West' is a good example, with lots of quiet dialogue but then loud gun shots / music.

I would imagine that better speakers have this "feature".

My setup:

VP150 - Center
M60 - L,R
QS8 - Surrounds

RichardH

Supporting Actor
I would think Klipsch would help retain clarity at lower volumes. You should also familiarize yourself w/ dynamic range compressions features on your receiver. Bass volume isn't a big deal, just turn down the sub output.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
As mentioned, dynamic range compression is very handy if you need to keep things at a reasonable volume. That, combined with a good center channel speaker should do you well. There are a number of good centers out there.

Bryan Warren

Auditioning
I would recomend Magnepans. I am in the same situation you are I live in an apartment and noise complaints is somthing I really do not need. I own Klipsch now and they really need volume to open up and give you an enjoable movie experince. The maggies however do not require the high volumes to catch all the nuances in movie soundtracks. Also they are dipole and throw an enormous sound stage and image very well, the boxless design will keep more of the sound energy in your room, not you neighbors.

Just my .02

MikeNg

Second Unit
I second the Maggies. What they lack in SPL they more than make up in clarity and accuracy.

I'd also think about some shakers for your seating. Since you can't afford to 'crank' you can still get tactile transduction and lower volumes. Shaking without the baking!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks