What's new

Clancy Brown should play Lex Luthor in the Superman movie... (1 Viewer)

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Rosenbaum is good but you have to understand that he is doing the Lex "before the fall" so to speak. The character has not yet embraced his own destiny and abilities, nor has he done anything really evil yet. Granted, he has great pathos and I find myself not wanting him to fall from grace, and I think thats what's great bout recent portrayals of lex in the comics by the likes of Loeb and Kelly.

But do we really want to see the soft-spoken, YOUNG rosenbaum portraying a character that should be older and more over-the-top? I guess a lot of it comes down to how he's directed in the film.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
One thing to consider is that traditionally, Luthor is supposed to be the same age as Superman. Therefore, they're probably going to have to use an actor for Luthor that is about the same age as the actor portraying Superman.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
One thing to consider is that traditionally, Luthor is supposed to be the same age as Superman.
I suppose that's true, but for the past 15 years, Lex has been noticeably older than Clark - about ten years, I think. He was an established figure in Metropolis when Superman first appeared, and that's been fairly effective - I like Lex as an authority figure who, aside from being evil, is afraid of the threat Superman presents to an empire he's built over time.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Jason, keep in mind that in modern that in post-Byrne continuity, Clark worked at the Smallville paper several years before landing the job wiht the Daily Planet. But, yes, Lex is usually portrayed as being older than Superman.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
Gene Hackman's Lex in Superman looked considerable older than Reeves in Superman The Movie yet it worked to a degree. I think the time line currently at work on Smallville with Lex being slightly older than Clark is working and could work on the big screen.

Rosenbaum is good but you have to understand that he is doing the Lex "before the fall" so to speak. The character has not yet embraced his own destiny and abilities, nor has he done anything really evil yet. Granted, he has great pathos and I find myself not wanting him to fall from grace, and I think that’s what's great bout recent portrayals of Lex in the comics by the likes of Loeb and Kelly. But do we really want to see the soft-spoken, YOUNG Rosenbaum portraying a character that should be older and more over-the-top? I guess a lot of it comes down to how he's directed in the film.
shows what he's capable of.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question could a spin off series with Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor on the same channel maybe coming on after Smallville work? With guest appearances from time to time with Smallville cast members? I would love to see this. I would make only his father the only permanent cast member on both series.

The Lex Luthor series should begin to show his downfall s-l-o-w-l-y and should be a little more adult than Smallville. Maybe have some of the storylines between the two shows mix from time to time.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The latest rumor of the next Superman is Scott Speedman of Underworld. I dont think he has the acting range for it to tell you the truth. He acted the same way in Underworld as he did on Felicity.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
"Look, up there in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Super-Werewolf-Vampire-Hybrid-Man!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks