What's new

Circuit City closing all stores -- watch for bargains coming soon (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The CC near us was mostly picked clean, except for some floor models, and the media section. I ended up picking up The Simpsons Movie on Blu-ray for $15, Taladega Nights for $5 and Lady in the Water (for my wife, she loves those M. Night movies) for $7.50. Both of the DVDs were 50% off $5 less than the sticker price.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Agree, the 50% off Blu Rays barely get it close to Amazon every day prices and still have to add tax. The good news is that the store had a lot of BR and DVD left so maybe at the 60-70% off levels there may be a few left for a real deal.

My closest store did have a number of the bigger APC UPS at 40% off which leaves some decent deals -- 1500LCD for $130, 1300LCD for $95 (still not as good of Office Depots Clearance at 82 a couple weeks ago).

The store I went to was completely sold out of any less than 40inch TV's, but a lot of bigger sets were still there though no super low prices. There were a suprising number of sealed Onkyo 506's and 8522 as well as Energy speaker sets though the prices weren't any better than most online stores though at least it's finally close.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I just bought a TV Stand at 60% off. And a friend found these Blu-ray titles for me at another CC store, Chain Reaction, GI Jane & Omega Man.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that they'll be nearly cleaned out of products before they hit 75% off. According to the staff at the store in my area, they're closing between March 13 and 20. I assume the exact date will depend on how much stuff they have left to sell in each store.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

When the first wave of CC closed, they had gotten up to 80+% of most things. I got several Blu Rays; at around 75% off though nothing most people consider A-list movies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I went back in to the store in my area today and the prices are discounted to 60% off. The only problem is that nearly all the Blu-rays and DVDs are cleaned out. There wasn't even a "Eh, what the heck, it's only $9"-type of Blu-ray.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I stopped by the Circuit City in San Bernardino, CA when I was at lunch on Tuesday and there really wasn't much left. All that I saw were a few TVs, a row of DVDs, a row of CDs, and a few Blu-ray discs. There were a few aisles of other things too but nothing really worth mentioning. I'm guessing this store will be closed within days.

I ran across this today which some of you may find of interest:
Circuit City Liquidation: If You Buy A Shattered TV, You Are Out Of Luck

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Interesting article, but SERIOUSLY...who would be stupid enough to spend $1000+ on a TV--with an "all sales final" caveat--and not want to check the product first?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
The Circuit City in my area had a station at the front encouraging people to check out their electronics purchases before leaving the store.

At 60% off I picked up the Ocean's Trilogy ($36) and Michael Clayton ($14) on Blu-ray. Blu definitely won't last until the next price drop. Some DVDs will remain at least in that store.

I'm bummed that last Thursday I saw 20 or so battery backups at 50% off and in one week they were all gone. I actually needed one this week!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Ditto for me with PS3 Dualshocks. They went from about 100 to 0 between my last two visits! :frowning:

In terms of Blu-Rays, they have multiple copies of about a dozen different discs left, mostly catalog titles (Lethal Weapon, Dirty Dozen, Beerfest, a few others).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I forgot this in my post from yesterday: there was a sign that stated the store would be closing for good in ten days, making the Racine store's final day Sunday, March 8th.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

That article claims that these folks weren't allowed to open the boxes before they purchased their TVs. If that was the case, I certainly wouldn't plunk down that much money on a TV that I couldn't return if it was defective. Hell... I don't think I'd spend that much money in a store that was closing period.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I found some great deals at Circuit City on items all covered by manufacturer's warranty during this liquidation. The only Blu-ray I purchased was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". If any items are defective, they will be covered by warranty so I am not the slightest bit concerned. I never return items to stores unless defective so the hassle of dealing with the manufacturer instead of return is more than offset by the savings.

Chris

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Close Encounters of the Third Kind all of those were gone at 30%. :angry:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Picked up "The Shining" on Blu for $15. Also purchased a few GB switches for half off. CD's were pretty much gone. Had my son on the phone looking things up for me on the internet to make sure I didn't over pay
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

While I was there, some workers (not CC employees) were pulling certain CDs off the shelf. Not sure why that was happening...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Went back for a final look and there wasn't much there on bluray worth considering -- the donnor cut of Supes2, ultraviolet, 16blocks, lethal weapon, no vacancy, hostel2...

I ended up getting D.O.A. on DVD (the stupid action film with Jaime Pressley) for $6, which came with a free set of Circuit City exclusive playing cards inside (that are round -- neat-o. Now I just need to learn how to play cards).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Sunday March 1: 70% movies and music.

I broke down and got Lethal Weapon on Blu for $7.50
And Criminal Minds Season 2 DVD for $15.

The shelving was being broken down, creating an end-of-the-world kind of frenzy feeling. Lots of comedy DVDs left, and horror, but nothing else - drama, scifi, even music DVDs were totally gone.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I ended up buying a Polk subby for $100 reduced from the mark up of $300. One blu-ray was left it was Hairspray, no thanx.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks