What's new

Christmas Story DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
That is a good point Larry, since the 20th anniversary is next year it would make sense to have a 20th anniversary special edition but who knows. I have had this dvd since it came out and have enjoyed it every year. This movie is one of the best Christmas movies ever and is a must have. However if I were in your shoes, I would take that copy back, and either rent it or watch it on normal tv this year and hope for a special edition next year.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Today's rumor mill over at the 'Bits has A Christmas Story coming out next November in R2. No information yet, but Bill Hunt reasons that since the disc has been out a while, a new release would likely be a special edition. If so, hopefully we'll see it over here.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I think they need to do A Christmas Story SE Goonies style.

Have audio/video commentary with all the kids grown-up.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

Today's rumor mill over at the 'Bits has A Christmas Story coming out next November in R2. No information yet, but Bill Hunt reasons that since the disc has been out a while, a new release would likely be a special edition.
I'll just copy my answer from another thread over to this one:

It hasn't been released in R2 at all so far, so chances are this is just the bog standard catalogue release. (Sometimes catalogue releases take ages to get released over here, e.g. Sunset with Bruce Willis just got released a few weeks ago.)

But, and this this is a big BUT, there is a slight chance that it may be widescreen. Point in case: Bridges of Madison County, which is anamorphic widescreen over here. Of course that won't help much if you can't play R2 PAL discs.

Chris

James Reader

Screenwriter
I see some are speculating that a re-release may be made next year to tie-in with the films 20th Anniversary.

I don't really understand why movies can only be released as 'Anniversary Editions'. Have you ever thought to yourselves "I'd better by that edition of xxxx as its the films 25th Anniversary this month"?

I understand its from a marketing point-of-view, but really does anybody, especially the mass market, especially care?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
James,
Yeah, silly, isn't it? Why do we celebrate our 20th wedding anniversaries as if they were big deals, then virtually ignore the 21st through 24th? I don't know. People are weird.
Yet, somehow, "Special 20th Anniversary Edition" sounds jazzier than "Special 18th Anniversary Edition." :)
Jan

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Just thought I'd give this one a bump to remind anyone who was not aware that Turner Classic Movies is showing A Christmas Story tonight (12/22) at 8:00PM EST. It is being presented in its OAR! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jeremy! :D
I got to TCM too late tonight. So, I dusted off my VHS I taped off of TCM a couple of years ago (again in its OAR!) and watched it a little while later.
It's great to have on while in the midst of a big pile of holiday wrapping!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks