Christmas Story DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Keefe, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Remember The Christmas Story? The one with the Red Rider BB Gun? My wife picked it up yesterday at BB. Unfortunately, It was full screen...I haven't opened it yet. I am wondering if it is available in Widescreen or not. If it is I wil return the "standard" version and get widescreen. If not I guess I will open it and watch it since it is a family fave...
    thanks,
    dan

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Dan I don't see any DVD copies in WS. I checked at a couple web sites that I buy discs from and neither lists it
    available anything other than 4:3 in mono.

The good news is that it appears it only had a mono soundtrack and was only 1.66 when it was released on LD. I'm not sure of the theatrical OAR, but IMDB has it listed as a 1.37 film negative with 1.85 intended ratio.

3. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Thanks David,
    I guess I'll open it...make the family happy anyway...Ihate fullscreen[​IMG]
    thanks again,
    dan

4. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

return it, it's only available in very crappy FS, no WS version is on DVD

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

There have been a few petitions to get this title re-released as a widescreen anamorphic title, possibly with the extras it deserves, but nothing has come to fruition.

This was on TCM yesterday in widescreen and it looked about the same as when I zoom in on my 16:9 set. It also looked like the same transfer -- fair video quality and not much more. I forgot to notice if the wavy, heat effect (which is really noticeable in the beginning) was there or not.

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's a crappy transfer to boot. Try running a searh and you will find multiple threads on this topic.

7. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    It looks like hell!! take it back.

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

9. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Enjoy it for what it is! A Fine and dandy Christmas movie, fun for the whole family. Warts and all. I'd view it in any format as long as our family can get then pleasure we do every year!

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, I believe it is open matte, so at least you could pretend the LBX bars are there (or zoom on a W/S set).
    Great disc...no. Great film...yes. Keep it because at this point what can you do. Hopefully the film will get done properly on DVD at some point, though I wonder how many people actually first saw it widescreen/theatrically anyway. [​IMG]

11. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

ACS is open matte...however, it is the exact same transfer that was used for the original video release in 1984! No kidding...when MGM/UA did the DVD, they just pulled out the old VHS transfer! Thus it's overly soft and has artifacting problems...but at least it's 100% (AFAIK) open-matte, for those who can stand it...

12. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Yeah, it's a great film that deserves a top-notch DVD. However, mediocre transfer aside, it still provides a lot of entertainment.

And, as said above, it was shot "open matte" so there's no pan-and-scanning going on, nothing cut off the sides of the 4:3 aspect ratio. Also, I don't know of any boom mikes, cables, etc. visible in the 4:3 version.

Jan

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The UK has it listed for a November release next year. Whether or not it's an SE remains to be seen

Honestly, I will be personally SHOCKED if Warner doesn't SE this movie in the next 2 years

14. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I was going to post the same thing, but Jeff beat me too it. I would take it back, since it's most likely that Warner will release this in animorphic widescreen next year anyways. If you have to watch it again before then, go ahead and watch in on TV, or rent it, since the quality of the DVD is not that good anyways.

15. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

If I were in your shoes, I would take that sucker back to the store, thus putting my foot down on fullscreen-only releases.

It's on TV every year anyway.

16. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    DO watch the TCM broadcast, but be warned...

The print they have is OAR, but has awful picture quality.

18. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

For the record, I attempted to watch ACS on my widescreen TV last week with the picture zoomed in an effort to recreate its OAR. Most of it looked just fine, framing-wise, but several shots looked very cramped. I'm not convinced that this is 100% open-matte. Maybe some boom mikes had to be P&Sed out of the shot. (The picture quality of the transfer is still pretty bad.)

19. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

20. Larry W

Larry W Agent

Next year is the 20th anniversary of ACS. I hope Warner will do a special edition to celebrate it. My dream release of ACS would include it being remastered for video and sound, the original mono and a new 5.1 soundtrack, anamorphic widescreen version, open-matte version, audio commentaries by cast and crew, deleted scenes, and all the Messy Marvin commercials with optional commentary by Peter Billingsley. Any one want to add anything else?

Larry