What's new

Christmas gear out September 13th at K-Mart (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
This was mentioned in another thread, but it's something that got my goat so I had to give it its own thread rather than crap on a love-of-fall thread. My local K-Mart has had, since they cleaned out the "Back to School" supplies, had mechanical Santa Claus and a host of Christmas decorations out for public view. I love Christmas time, I really do, but do we seriously need it to start in September? Let's get through Halloween, at VERY least before we start selling the next season. It honestly disgusted me. I love Fall and Halloween, not to mention the gorging of Thanksgiving, and think it's horrible that they've not been given their due. Whatever happened to making the most of the time that's in front of us??

Anyone else think this trend has got to stop, or am I a man alone?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My local Kmart is closing and so is the Blockbuster Video in the same shopping center. In it's place, Home Depot is going in. The best part of this, it's 2 blocks from my house. WoooHoooo!

As for Xmas in September, I don't mind.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I went to Costco last weekend (the 18th) and they had their christmas stuff out too. It's getting out of hand.

I guess stores just want to make sure they're first, so they can sell more. I know this policy helped kill a small giftstore I knew the owner of, because she had no way of having christmas stuff in stock so early, and when christmas came around and she had it, a lot of people had already bought it elsewhere in the chain stores.

/Mike

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I think it is very sad that consumers are made to rush into the next holiday mode. I think people should take things slow and enjoy things, not be rushed to get the latest and greatest x-mas tree in September.

I don't celebrate holidays so fortunately I don't have to deal with that. I just enjoy the seasons at my own pace.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Um.... haven't they been doing this for decades? There was an old Charlie Brown joke about stores with their Christmas decorations up before easter, and that was in the 1960's.

Phil_L

Second Unit
I don't think they do it to get you to buy Christmas decorations but to get you in the holiday buying mood in general. If you see Christmas stuff out early, you might start holiday shopping early thereby extending the shopping period. With a longer holiday shopping period, people may very well by more gifts.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Comedians have made the joke about it creeping up for years, but when reality mirrors the comedy we have have a problem.

And I'm not talking little trinkets, I'm talking a fully-realized Christmas display, like I used to see in Malls around Thanksgiving time. It's going to be like eating Chocolate for every meal, it's going to spoil the season for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

It is spoiled precisely because it truly is a season:

Winter, Spring, Summer, Christmas

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yet everyone is at the Malls, the last week before Christmas. :D

It's funny how we all complain that they put this stuff out WAY too early, yet we're all complaining about how little time there is to do shopping when it gets to be Dec. 20th. ;)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

My god, you'd think some people have never heard of Amazon.com or something. :D

Me: You're all getting Amazon gift certificates!, except for you dad, because you specifically told me yoy wanted a cherry-red LeCruest ceramic enamled roasting pan. And they sell those at Amazon.com

Family: Yeah!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I was at Sam's Club last weekend and they had Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas stuff all together. Takes away a little from each holiday, in my book. While I get a nice fuzzy feeling seeing Christmas lights, seeing them mid-September is just a tad much!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks