What's new

Chinatown blu ray due on May 9, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I apologize if this has been brought up before but does anyone know if the blu ray of Chinatown coming from Paramount on May 9, 2017 is a new remaster or a repackaging of the current blu (it has new cover art)? I've avoided the current Chinatown blu because of the negative reviews on the transfer. But if they've gone back and redone the transfer I'll definitely upgrade. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Bl...=1492711106&sr=8-1&keywords=Chinatown+blu+ray

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't say for sure, but I would strongly suspect that it is simply a repackaging of the existing disc. The disc first came out under Paramount, and then was reissued by Warner when Warner was distributing Paramount product. With that deal now over, technically Chinatown is currently out of print. This is likely Paramount putting that same disc back into print.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Maybe this new release will different that it will come with a band-aid that you can stick on your nose like Jack did in the movie.....never mind, Paramount wouldn't spend the money for that .:wacko:
Maybe if it's a SpongeBob BandAid ;)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There are several Paramount films that are coming out with new covers.All seem to be the same as last release.
175669_large.jpg
175670_medium.jpg

and some new release without a new cover
175673_medium.jpg

And some they are not showing what the cover will look like yet. New or Old
Sunset Blvd
no-img-sm._CB192198896_.gif

Reactions: PMF

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yep, they were and I owned one of 'em. The film is gorgeously photographed and one of the great things about it was not to drain color to make it look like the past, as some do. The past had color so not sure why that's any kind of a logical choice. If they've browned this or not color-corrected properly that will be a travesty.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
If Paramount did the new 4K I assume Andrea Kalas held the reigns, as VP Archive. It should be a safe bet (in a world full of uncertainties!)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's playing now at the Film Forum through Thursday. I was planning on going & if I do I'll post my thoughts. And simply to confirm Bruce's remarks, yes, CHINATOWN was the last film to my knowledge with IB Technicolor prints. And those original prints were exquisite. NYU owned one, and they used to show it a lot in class, so I've seen CHINATOWN many times over the years. But I would really like to see what this new 4K DCP looks like.

https://filmforum.org/film/chinatown

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
ts. And simply to confirm Bruce's remarks, yes, CHINATOWN was the last film to my knowledge with IB Technicolor prints.

Its a well known fact that The Godfather Part II was the last film to be printed in IB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks