What's new

Check out this new 12" driver (1 Viewer)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Rick, the parameters posted will be for the final version, not for the prototype. Once we had the prototype done, it was very easy to just adjust parameters for the longer coil. The deeper magnet stack won't change much. Doubling the depth of the stack usually only gains you another 10% or so BL, so increasing 1.75" to 2" on the stack will be a very minimal change. The gap plate used on the proto was the .375" that will be on the final version. I was just under the impression originally that it was .5", but parameters are for the correct version.

As far as the dustcap logo goes, most of you probably won't want it, and that's why I am offering them without. The reason I needed to do it is for the car audio guys. I need to pick up some sales from there to make enough money to make it happen. The majority of them won't buy anything without a logo. Even with my HE15, I've been told it is a POS no-name woofer because there is no logo. I could easily stamp the logo on it and sell them for $500 to car audio people all day long though. Amazing what people want to pay for a logo.

John

Brad Dixon

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Do you know or have an idea when the AV12/15 will be shipping or available? I saw something about Christmas in a post but wasn't sure if that was regarding another driver. I know you're working on a couple.

I'm planning a sealed AV15 in 132L internal box(before deducting driver and bracing) with a QSC RMX850. As long as I set the gain properly I'll be OK, correct? A plate amp would be nice(no room for a rack amp) but for the price of a 500w plate amp I need to think about it more. I'm going sealed to help save some money since 2 PR's(atleast) would set me back another 2 hundred.

You said,
Now if you compared a Brahma 15 to the HE15, then I'd have a different answer....
were you referring to the AV15 or the high end driver you're working on?

Thanks,
Brad

A

Anthony_Gomez

John, no one ever said that a pure car audio buff/nutt had a good head on their sholders :)
...sure there are exceptions to this norm :D

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Brad, a sealed version would be just fine but I just wanted to let you know that the preorder price on a set of 15" Pr's will only run $90 instead of a couple hundred like you thought.
If you can get away with a slightly larger enclosure I would do it. It will result in a bit of a nicer sound with a shallower rolloff down low. If not, then 132 isnt bad at all.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Do you the 15" PR will have enough displacement (Vd) to run with the AV15? I would think the 18" PR would be better suited for this application. We're talking 4 liters of displacement here :D
"I could easily stamp the logo on it and sell them for $500 to car audio people all day long though. Amazing what people want to pay for a logo"
John sounds to me like you need to get some stickers made and get to stickering.......then sell'em for $495 :laugh:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The reason I needed to do it is for the car audio guys. I need to pick up some sales from there to make enough money to make it happen. The majority of them won't buy anything without a logo. Even with my HE15, I've been told it is a POS no-name woofer because there is no logo.
That's why it's so much fun when I read a post that starts: "I'm new to home audio, but I'm, like, a car audio expert...". You know you're in for some pearls at that point. ;)

Kurt Ferguson

Auditioning
Amazing looking drivers John, I hope you do very well with them. I don't know if anyone can convince me to sell my HE-15 though, works damned well for HT use, and with a 40hz@18dB/octave crossover, inductance peaking at 70hz isn't a particularly large concern for me. :)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
So we have at least 2 weeks + to get our orders in or is it that we have 2 weeks or less????? They will be shipping when?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Regarding the preorder, I plan to start it officially on monday or tuesday. It will then run for 2 weeks. I need to verify our delivery times with Thilo yet. I don't want to quote times that are innacurate. All the parts for the 12" woofers, except for the VC's are in stock. We just need to order the VC's for production. I am not sure how long that takes. I am expecting that on the AV12, delivery will be 4 weeks from the end of the preorder.

The AV15 is a little different issue. In addition to needing the coils, the cone also has to be tooled up. We are using a new custom aluminum cone that has the santoprene surround that is made specifically for the AV15. Once the tool is made for the cones, they need to make 250pcs, and then we can air them over from China. I don't know how long tooling of the cone and the production of the cones takes. I am expecting that the AV15's will ship 8 weeks from the end of the preorder.

These times may change, so they aren't set in stone yet. I will hopefully hear back from Thilo on monday and can get a definite answer so we can go ahead and start the preorder.

John

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the 15" PR's listed on Link Removed , are these single or dual-spider, and how much Mms can they handle?

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Since Jack brought up the topic about the 15" PR, I guess I'll ask again......
Do two 15" PR have enough displacement or throw to run with the AV15 or would they bottom out? I take it two 18" PR be better suited for this application. We're talking 4 liters of displacement here for the AV15.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Chris, two 15" PR are recommended for the 12" version, I'd definitely go with 18's with the AV15, in most deep/flat alignments that provide enough power push the driver to its limits, the extra PR Vd will be good to have. It really depends on the alignment you choose and how much power you provide, though. Have you modelled it...which alignment do you like?
It's good to note that the AV15 does have more Vd than the HE15, for which two 18" PR are a given.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Hey Jack, here is what I got to play with:
1. PE 250 amp w/no boost
2. Tempest
3. ~7 ft^3 vented box (24x19x27 with 92oz of polly fill)
4. 2x SVS original drivers
5. lots of 3", 3.5", & 4" tubing for ports
As you can see I have a few options to choose from......................
1st would be sell the tempest and get an AV15. I could just drop it in the already made box that tempest was in then re-tune the ports. **Problem is I don't know if I will see any real benefit of upgrading since the limiting factor would be the 250 watts from the PE amp**. I think there wouldn't be much difference between the two at only 250 watts. What do you think? Would it be worth it? Would I notice a difference? Cost of upgrade ~$80 since I wouldn't need anything else except for the driver.
2nd would be sell the tempest and build the 5 ft^3 PR alignment. I'm a PR "virgin" so I would be a little hesitant to try. Although the smaller box would be fantastic. Again not sure about the amplification restrictions of the PE 250. That, and it would cost a lot more to build. About ~$320 since I need 2 (maybe 1 ?) 18" PR + AV15. Would I see any gains over the vented tempest?
3rd would be to pull the 2 SVS original drivers out of the closet, fire up the table saw, and build dual vented stereo subs. I could sell the Tempest & buy another PE 250. Cost would be ~$70. I would have my small boxes I was looking for but would dual SVS's out perform my tempest or the AV15?
4th would be forget I ever saw this post and go forth on my merry way spewing bass ever so easily with my tempest......
Will I ever be content? :D

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Jack,

The new HE15 has a Vd of 4.4L at it's 31mm Xmax. Those parameters aren't up on the website yet. The AV15 has a 4L Vd. Not quite as much as the HE15.

The 15" PR's have a Vd of 4.15L, so if used in a large enclosure with limited amplifier power, a pair of them could work with the AV15. For example, if you used a 5 cubic foot enclosure with a pair of 15" PR's with 1000grams each, you would get a tuning of 18Hz, and wouldn't run out of excursion with the PR's until under 18Hz. This is not going to be the ideal enclosure for this woofer, but for someone who wants to get the most bass for the money, it would work out very well. I don't know of too many other options that would get you more for about $425(amp, woofer, and pr's!!).

I'd still recommend the 18" PR's if you're using a smaller enclosure though, or higher power than 350W.

Jack,with regards to the PR's, those are single spider 15" PR's. I have used up to 2000 grams with them before. I can build them with dual spiders for a little bit more. I'd suggest if you want to use upwards of 1800grams that a second spider would be beneficial.

Kyle, you might also want to add the 18" PR's to the preorder page there. I should have all the info for the premade and kit cabinets and amplifier specials ready by tonight too.

John

I'm looking at buying either an AV12 or AV15 and still weighing my options. I have an Adire PR15X (the one that was on sale) and one of their 250 watt plate amps. I was looking at doing the 3 cubic foot box tuned to 19 hz with this combo. Though it won't take full advantage of the AV12's excursion, this looks like it would work fine because the PR only runs into trouble at the limits of the amp's power. My other thought was to try to sell my amp and PR and put the money towards a bigger amp and do something vented. Ideally I'd like to do something high power with a couple PR's but I'm pretty short on cash right now. Hmm, have all of these new cool drivers coming out is making life difficult...:)
-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks